Student Accounts Coordinator
Department:: Student Accounts
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Nov 19, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Student Accounts Manager.
Summary of Position:
This position serves as a staff member of the M Center, a one-stop student administrative service unit handling the academic records, financial aid and student accounts functions of the College. Under the direction of the Student Accounts Manager, the incumbent of this position is responsible for the implementation and completion of daily responsibilities in the Student Accounts area. This individual will work with the Student Accounts Manager to assure processing of charges and payments related to student tuition and fees and update student financial records.
Essential Job Functions:
- Handle Student Accounts functions including management of individual student caseload, posting charges, adjustments, late fees and medical waivers on student accounts, loan and payment plan reconciliation, coordinating eBill and packet distribution for new and continuing students, processing routine transactions and answering general questions.
- Create and update billing table set-up on BANNER system for off-term semesters. Audit and review for proper system adjustment on tuition and fees and make corrections as necessary. Contact SIS support as needed.
- Provide financial counseling for parents and students regarding payment options and payment plans with authority to negotiate special arrangements in special situations and direct complicated or escalating situations to the supervisor.
- Contact and initiate the settling of student account balances in escalated or special situations.
- Develop communication tools to educate prospective and current students and families about their account charges and financial aid.
- Audit student accounts to assure accuracy and resolve discrepancies.
- Process refunds
- Meet with students to address late fee and payment plan issues.
- Process fees and waivers as assigned by departments on campus.
- Compile data and produce IRS form 1098-T Tuition statements.
- Coordinate third party billing needs.
- Processing of refunds as necessary.
- Play a key role in developing financial literacy communication to students and parents.
- Assist with the staffing of orientation programs and workshops throughout the year to educate students and families on the student accounts process.
- Support management of the CASHNet system through testing and feedback.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support and enhance financial literacy objectives through staff and student workshops and outreach events.
- Share team responsibility for answering general questions and processing routine transactions as related to academic records, student accounts and financial aid in lobby and by phone. Resolve general issues and problems or refer to appropriate personnel to ensure highest level of customer service.
- Understand and counsel students regarding federal, state, and institutional financial aid concepts and policies.
- Coordinate preparation of unpaid account for transfer to Collections unit.
- Working closely with financial aid staff to streamline joint procedures and disbursement of aid.
- Conduct training sessions for outside staff.
- Maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office Suite especially Excel and experienced in financial database systems.
- Knowledge of Title IV rules for the Perkins Loan Program & FERPA rules a plus
- Excellent public relations, oral and written communication and ability to communicate sensitive and/or complex information in a confidential and straightforward manner.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and maintain effective customer service toward all persons contacted during the course of job performance.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Ability to perform queries, with the ability to manipulate a large amount of data with high level of accuracy and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and manage time and priorities to meet deadlines.
- Basic accounting skills.
- Proven diagnostic, problem-solving and organizational skills.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree.
- 3 years combined experience in Student Accounts, Accounts Receivable, Collections or financial/accounting field.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information and make presentations.
- Seeing to read a variety of materials and assuring entries are recorded accurately.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer terminal.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulder, horizontally and bending at the waist to maintain files.
- Typical office environment and equipment.
This is an exempt, full-time position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan plus employer match after 6-month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, legal services, commuter benefits, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, auto & home insurance discounts,computer purchase discounts and cell/home phone service discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to: https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
To apply, please submit:
- cover letter and
- contact information for three references, and
- salary requirements
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.