Coordinator of Technology Training
Department:: Information Technology Services
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Nov 28, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-time Non-Exempt
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Manager of Technology Training
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Manager of Technology Training, a Coordinator of Technology Training will co-manage the ITS helpdesk and train faculty and staff in conjunction with peer Coordinator. Assistance to the Mills community covers a broad range of computer/mobile resources, applications, and services, Mills accounts and resources, as well as general computer use while supporting the ITS department staff and participating in ITS initiatives and projects. This position advances some of the goals set out in the Mills Strategic Plan by ensuring that faculty, staff, and students have access to reliable assistance with computing resources for performing the work of the college.
Essential Job Functions:
- During assigned hours, occupy and operate the Helpdesk station.
- Respond to user requests and questions in person, over the phone, through email, and via computer remote control, providing tier 1 and 2 support on a broad range of computer applications and services, Mills accounts and resources, and general computer use.
- Maintain the Helpdesk application/ticketing system.
- Manage Helpdesk tickets, workflow and overall ITS staff usage.
- Provide a wide range of in-depth training assistance to faculty, staff, and students.
- Develop and provide recurring open training sessions in the use of software applications and general computer use and adherence to Mills ITS policies and procedures in the ITS training facility.
- Create and develop digital technology training materials and videos to support the Mills community focused on faculty and staff needs.
- Perform training sessions in one-to-one coaching situations on Mills community computing equipment, applications, and processes.
- Provide IT orientations for new employees, either one-to-one or in a group, to establish familiarity with Mills accounts, services, and policies. Coordinate with Manager for high-level employees.
- Provide account assistance to guests of the college, including account creation, claiming, and wireless access.
- Participate in new student orientations and activities, representing ITS, providing technology resources.
Technology Webpages and Newsletters
- Coordinate the development of the ITS webpages on the Mills College website and campus Intranet, working with the other ITS teams to ensure current and relevant information.
- Develop and maintain Training team webpages and resources on the Mills College website and campus Intranet.
- Create and maintain ITS communications, including but not limited to newsletters, forum posts and handouts for community outreach and orientations.
Student Employee Support
- Supervise student workers, including but not limited to, employment processing, scheduling, communications, and training, in coordination with the Manager of Technology Training and the Desktop team.
Technology Purchasing Support (Basic)
- Assist in IT purchasing for ITS and the greater Mills community, including quoting/price comparisons, order processing, receiving/delivery, and paperwork.
- Assist the Manager of Technology Training in maintaining purchasing database and vendor relationships.
Internal Team Support
- Communicate regularly with the Manager of Technology Training regarding the status of current project initiatives; obtain guidance and approval as required to advance initiatives.
- Collaborate with peer Coordinator on work directly assigned by the Manager of Technology Training.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain documentation for the training team.
- Provide community data support, including data storage training for faculty and staff.
- Assist faculty and staff with setup and use of mobile computing devices provided through Mills.
- Participate in project planning and review.
- Maintain a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems, participating in professional development activities as appropriate.
- Have an understanding of the Training teams essential job functions and responsibilities in order to back up staff during planned and unplanned outages.
- Perform related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Apple Macintosh and Windows PC operating systems.
- Mobile device operating systems.
- A wide range of computer applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) as well as cloud-based resources.
- Desktop computer hardware and software installation and troubleshooting strategies.
- Computer network concepts and related equipment including network routers, wireless access points, hubs, and basic network cabling.
- Preparation of written reports and correspondence.
- Documentation creation/maintenance.
- Technology training programs.
- Safety policies, practices, procedures and requirements of the department, College, and Illness & Injury Prevention Plan.
Skills and Abilities:
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Oral, written, and organizational skills.
- Communicate technical information to non-technical personnel.
- Maintain high personal energy level and a positive attitude, especially during stressful situations.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions; work under pressure and deadlines.
- Prioritize and handle multiple projects requiring independent execution.
- Work independently by following established principles.
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation towards all persons contacted during the course of job performance
Education and Training:
- Associate degree OR
- 1-2 years' experience in computer-related hardware, software, troubleshooting and repair.
Physical, Mental, and Environmental Demands:
- Work involves sitting/standing for long hours and using office equipment, while requiring attention to detail and high levels of accuracy.
- A Coordinator will often spend long hours on the computer in order to execute essential job functions as well as additional duties and responsibilities.
- Work occasionally requires bending to adjust or work with office equipment.
- Work occasionally requires physical exertion such as lifting heavy objects over 50 pounds.
- The ITS offices are located in a busy office area; a Coordinator should expect interruptions on a regular basis, meeting with a variety of people, and addressing multiple issues at once.
- There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, as well as dealing with time-sensitive matters, which may cause significant stress.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
Please note that all positions are subject to a background check.
To apply, please submit:
- cover letter
- contact information for three references
- salary requirements and
- writing samples
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.