Assistant Director of Marketing
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Aug 23, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Associate Vice President of Marketing
Supervises: Marketing Manager
Summary of Position:
The Assistant Director of Marketing is responsible for promoting the graduate and adult-focused education programs for Mills College across all media. Under the supervision of the Associate Vice President of Marketing, the Assistant Director will be responsible for developing, implementing, and monitoring marketing plans for graduate student recruitment and other marketing programs that advance the College as needed. This position will be responsible for web development, print materials development, advertising planning, creation, implementation, and results analysis. Additional responsibilities will include search engine optimization, social media marketing, and event promotion. This strong marketing leader will help grow the enrollment and enhance the image of Mills College.
Essential Job Functions:
- Position the graduate and adult-focused education programs at Mills College in line with the overall Mills brand.
- Build relationships with graduate department heads and faculty to develop a deep understanding of each program's unique challenges and opportunities for growth, collaborating with graduate admissions staff on recruitment priorities.
- Create, maintain, and enhance web content for graduate and adult-focused programs ensuring that content is vibrant, authentic, and up to date.
- Utilize the College's web content management system to create, edit, and upload content to the website, while developing search-engine optimized text and keywords.
- Create, write, and edit marketing content across media.
- Develop advertising campaigns, print publications, collateral materials, social media efforts, and event promotion to help recruit students to Mills.
- Develop, monitor, and measure digital and offline marketing programs that support graduate student recruitment and enhance results, including the use of Google Analytics data.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage multiple projects independently and simultaneously under deadline pressure with a high level of attention to detail.
- Deliver on strategic goals while being flexible to switch gears as priorities change or opportunities arise.
- Interact effectively with all levels of a multicultural organization, demonstrating a strong team orientation, sophisticated interpersonal skills, and excellent follow through.
- Keep abreast of changing technology as it impacts marketing with the ability to recognize and adopt new media to the benefit of the College.
- Review all Mills materials for accuracy and adherence to the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Serve on College-wide events committees to represent the Marketing Department.
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation towards all persons contacted during the course of job performance.
- Perform related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Consumer marketing planning, strategic development, and tactics across traditional and new media channels.
- Direct-to-consumer marketing tactics that drive desired results.
- Creative development and production processes for web, print, advertising, digital marketing, direct response, and collateral materials.
- Online marketing communications tools and their development and measurement.
- Creative vendor management including graphic design, photography, videography, copywriting, SEO, web designers, and programmers.
- Higher education student recruitment marketing desirable.
- Editorial style guides; Chicago Manual of Style strongly preferred
- Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and Web Content Management Systems
- Safety policies, practices, procedures and requirements of the department, College, and Illness & Injury Prevention Plan.
- Develop targeted marketing plans across a variety of consumer segments on very limited budgets.
- Strategize with academic departments and the AVP of Marketing on broad-based marketing communications programs that help drive admission results while enhancing brand image.
- Oversee the creative execution of materials while maintaining marketing strategy, creative integrity, and program effectiveness.
- Develop recruiting materials, websites, advertisements, social media, and search marketing programs.
- Write effective marketing communications copy for a variety of traditional and new media adhering to Mills style guidelines.
- Develop graduate digital and offline advertising plans, negotiate pricing, schedule and place ads.
- Manage deadlines, budgets, and corporate standards while developing award-winning creative work.
- Stay abreast of the changes in marketing channels as communications technologies evolve and apply them to Mills College as appropriate.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of marketing programs and continuously improve the College's efforts.
- Multi task on multiple projects, deadlines, and priorities.
- Develop strong working relationships with internal clients and educate them on effective marketing solutions, taking a proactive leadership role on behalf of the Marketing Department.
- Interact appropriately with different levels of internal clients providing consistent and regular project updates to the AVP of Marketing and clients, as appropriate.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or English
- Minimum of 8 years experience in marketing communications, preferably in a college or marketing communications agency environment.
Physical, Mental, and Environmental Demands:
- Work primarily involves sitting for long hours and using office equipment. The incumbent will often spend long hours on the computer which requires attention to detail and high levels of accuracy.
- Work location can vary and occasionally requires the need for quick mobility across campus several times a day in combination with stationary desk work.
- There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, which may cause significant stress.
- This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience, ranging from $70,000.00 to $80,000.00 per year, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 22 days of vacation per year, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
Please note that all positions are subject to a background check.
To apply, please submit:
- cover letter and
- salary requirements
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.