Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Oct 19, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-time Non-Exempt
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Manager of Financial Operations
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Manager of Financial Operations, the Cashier provides exceptional customer service to the College community while performing duties in the areas of cash handling and accounting. The Cashier assists in guiding the College community on cash handling policies and procedures and coordinates with others to achieve College, business office, and team goals.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide a high level of customer service to the College community.
- Accurately process, record and deposit all cash receipts.
- Process and record all student and non-student account receivable payments.
- Disburse cash payments such as cash reimbursements, cash advances, student emergency loans, and miscellaneous cash disbursements.
- Act as main Cashier and monitor, receive, and check all cash from transactions done by other cashiering stations on campus.
- Responsible for balancing cash on hand daily, ordering cash, and sending deposits to the bank.
- Prepare and perform month end closing procedures and balancing.
- Perform general reception duties, provide general services, and answer general questions.
Responsibilities and Additional Duties:
- Open and close the cashier window in accordance with the posted hours of operation.
- Safeguard cash and checks in the office at all times.
- Work with various departments to ensure that student payments, non-student payments, deposits, & disbursements are posted according to departmental or customer intention.
- Disburse payroll checks and accounts payable checks held for pickup.
- Respond to questions and inquiries in a timely manner.
- Communicate discrepancies to appropriate departments and confirm correction.
- Verify and review departmental deposits and process journal entries.
- Process electronic bank deposits and communicate with the bank when questions and issues arise.
- Prepare cash deposits and orders with the armored car service.
- Monitor and check all external cashier activity, assuring all funds are received in a timely manner.
- Maintain and update Cashier procedures as needed.
- Demonstrate an understanding of, and ensure compliance with, the finance office's internal controls and procedures related to all College policies, especially the Cash Handling Policy and Document Retention and Destruction Policies.
- Assist in the implementation and testing of new or revised systems, procedures, and record keeping.
- Complete additional projects or tasks as assigned by supervisor, including acting as backup for other team members.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform extremely detailed tasks with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work with large sums of cash and checks while multitasking.
- Be at work on time and have excellent attendance.
- Able to take lunch break at the same time every day when the cashier window is closed.
- Ability to collaborate with team members to ensure payments are properly recorded.
- Exercise judgment in communications with supervisor, team members, and all external departments.
- Prioritize work and tasks to meet deadlines and ensure completion of critical duties.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and interact effectively with a variety of diverse customers.
- Ability to deal professionally and tactfully with upset or difficult customers.
- Work as part of a team, as well as independently to ensure departmental goals are achieved.
- Analyze and interpret financial data in order to perform reconciliations and research discrepancies.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality, and ensure sensitive data is protected.
- Have strong interpersonal skills, collaborative work style, and ability to effectively manage shifting priorities.
- Follow safety policies, practices, procedures and requirements.
Education and Training:
- At least two years of experience in data entry of financial information and cash handling.
- Banking experience is highly desirable.
- Computer experience including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Apps, and Internet applications in a Windows environment. Experience with CASHNet and/or Banner is a plus, but not required.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to stand or sit for extended periods and must manually count large sums of currency.
- Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 10 pounds on a regular basis and up to 20 pounds on an occasional basis. Manual dexterity and coordination are required over 75% of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, mouse, 10-key calculator, phone, and similar machines.
- Multitasking while providing customer services is required for this position. Upset or difficult customers could cause stress.
- Work takes place in an office working conditions. The noise level in the work environment is typical of most office environments with telephones, interruptions, and background noises.
- This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience, ranging from and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
Please note that all positions are subject to a background check.
To apply, please submit:
- resume and
- cover letter
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.