Manager of Grounds & Waste Management Services
ANNOUNCEMENT OF ADMINISTRATIVE POSITION OPENING
POSITION: Manager of Grounds & Waste Management Services
POSITION CODE: 4146
DEPARTMENT: Facilities Management
APPOINTMENT: Administrative, full-time, 12 months
STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD: 12 months
POSTING DATE: November 16, 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
DESCRIPTION: Plans, organizes and directs the development and coordination of programs and operations pertaining to landscaping and maintenance of University grounds, streets, sidewalks, and parking lots. Also operates heavy equipment and coordinates special event setups. Additionally, ensures that the University is managing solid waste in an effective manner including implementing procedures to reduce, reuse and recycle campus materials to minimize campus waste generation. Manages office and residence hall moves. Coordinates the logistics of moving items around campus. Works with Sustainability Coordinator to improve campus operations and lower overall carbon footprint as it relates to facilities operations.
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities of 17 ground and waste management employees in accordance within University policies and applicable laws including interviewing and training of staff employees; planning and assigning work; performance appraisal; and addressing complaints and resolving problems. Required to carry cell phone for after-hours response to emergencies.
- Adapts quickly to a dynamic workday
- Analyzes and identifies plant problems such as insects, diseases, abate with proper control using various chemicals and Integrated Pest Management principles; prepares and updates pesticide regulates as needed.
- Inspects grounds, both turf and paved to identify maintenance issues and recommend solutions.
- Monitors and inspects trees for hazards and pest problems including scheduling and monitoring tree trimming and pest control contractors and develops specifications for tree trimming contractors.
- Complies with Underground Service Alert by reviewing all notices of future construction; and verifies that irrigation lines, within the University and Mentone Reservoir to University grounds, are not disturbed.
- Maintains grounds of undeveloped real-estate properties and citrus groves owned by the University.
- Manages irrigation control and water management
- Assists and coordinates with Facilities Management Director and Associate Director on special events and conferences.
- Assists with pick up of parts/supplies and delivery of equipment for servicing.
- Adheres to all safety and housekeeping policies and procedures
- Performs other related duties or special projects as assigned or directed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent supplemented by three (3) years of additional course work. Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred. Successful candidate will have eight (8) years of experience in a similar position. Must possess a State Pesticide Applicator’s license and be a Certified Arborist. Selected candidate will possess considerable knowledge of commercial lawn and landscaping and all aspects of plant identification, cultural requirements, height and width of plants; pesticides and their mode of action and safe usage. Advanced knowledge of irrigation design, including hydraulic calculations and flow restrictions; lawn and landscape maintenance equipment; considerable knowledge of supervision and management techniques; safety rules, regulation and procedures. Successful candidate must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty and staff; have good organizational skills and communication skills; be able to work independently in an outdoor environment, moving around campus with frequent exposure to inclement weather. Successful candidate must possess a valid driver's license. Must be able to perform the physical duties required in a safe and productive manner. Upon offer of employment, a physical examination must be successfully completed, and a DMV printout demonstrating a good driving record presented. In compliance with “The Americans with Disability Act” if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed please call (909) 748-8040.
TO APPLY: Submit a University of Redlands Administrator application form at https://myredlandsapps.redlands.edu/HRAdministratorEmployment/.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CALL 909-748-8040 OR VISIT
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN.
MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER