On-Call Dining Service Worker
Job Title: On-Call Dining Service Worker
Location: Dining & Conference Services
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 3651
DCS Posting Details
Appointment/Status: This is a temporary, on-call position and hours vary week to week. On any given week, you could be scheduled up to 24 hours.
Responsibilities: This position is assigned by station and is responsible for the set-up and service within the station. For food stations and the servery that will likely include food preparation and/or stocking and service of food to the customer; for dish and pots stations the focus is on cleaning and restocking of culinary and service ware. DSWs are cross trained and should be able to work within the different types of stations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set-up the station according to established standards. Depending on the station assignment, this may include:
- Firing of equipment: fryers, griddle, grill, steamers, steam tables, ovens, pasta cookers, soup kettles, woks, hot boxes, frozen yogurt machine, dish machine, pot machine, etc.
- Prep and cooking of station menu items, following established production standards: standardized recipes, production sheets, waste logs, temp logs and other resources as instructed
- Gathering service utensils, condiments and other service needs
- Set-up of display plates
- Menu signage
- Restocking china, utensils, napkins, paper products, gloves
- Restocking milk machine, beverages, cereals, condiments and other food/beverage items
- Filling and maintenance of sanitation buckets
- Additional responsibilities during service times may include:
- Proper portioning and service to the guest
- General dining area cleanliness, including bussing tables in all public areas
- Break down the station according to established standards. Depending on the station assignment, this may include:
- Proper cooling, labeling and storage of food in refrigerators, freezers, and storerooms
- Proper product rotation in walk-ins, production coolers, and holding cabinets to assure timely use of food items and minimize potential waste
- Daily cleaning of kitchen and food storage areas, utensils, and equipment
General duties include:
- Cleaning and sanitation within assigned station and other DS managed areas, including sweeping, mopping, trash/garbage removal
- Recycling of cardboard, paper, plastic and aluminum
- Operation of standard kitchen appliances and equipment as listed within station set-up, above, and other items e.g. coffee maker, toaster, choppers, grinders, etc.
- Works with, and instructs, student staff in food preparation and service, storage, and handling of food items as assigned
- Maintains sanitary work area and habits in accordance with Pierce County Health Department specifications and requirements
- Maintains good personal hygiene habits, including washing of hands
- Performs duties in a safe manner and reports all accidents to the immediate supervisor
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Complies with Dining & Conference Services (DCS) standards and philosophy
- Adheres to policies as outlined in the DCS Handbook
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to operate all equipment necessary to perform the job
- Valid Food Worker Card
- Ability to count and to read short sentences with a common vocabulary
- The job offer to the successful candidate is contingent upon the results of background inquiry, and pre-placement physical exam (including drug testing) and strength test
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities are essential
- Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community
High school diploma or equivalent
Experience with operating standard kitchen appliances and equipment, e.g., coffee maker, toaster, dishwasher, etc.
- Customer service experience.
Must be able to speak clearly, listen attentively, read, write, and understand English.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to stand on one's feet for extended periods of time, use hand/finger dexterity continually, and perform repetitive motions.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds on a regular basis, and ability to lift up to 35 pounds on an occasional basis.
- We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.
- We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.
- We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/
Compensation/Benefits: The hiring rate for this position begins at $12.50 per hour.
Application Deadline Information: Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified.
Required Applicant Documents:
You will be prompted to upload all required documents as one file titled "Required documents." Please combine all required documents shown below into one Word or PDF file. Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered.
- Cover Letter
The University of Puget Sound is an equal employment opportunity employer.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://www2.pugetsound.jobs/psp/HRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;