Assistant Professor in Studio Art
Posting InformationPosting Information Position Title Assistant Professor in Studio Art Job Posting Number 20190068FAC Job Location San Marcos Department School of Art and Design Position Description
The Texas State University School of Art and Design invites applications for a full-time tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor in studio art to teach ceramics and 3D foundations.
Texas State is an Emerging Research University located in San Marcos, midway between Austin and San Antonio. We seek a dedicated studio artist with the desire to be an active, engaged member of our vibrant school and university communities. A commitment to teaching a range of undergraduate courses, from introductory to advanced studio art, is important, with prior teaching experience at the college/university level required. The successful candidate will have a strong record of exhibitions and professional accomplishments.
• Teach academic courses in ceramics and 3D foundations.
• Participate in curriculum development.
• Pursue personal research/creative activity in relevant discipline and build a substantive record of national professional/peer recognition.
• Engage in service to the school, college, university, civic community and profession.
• MFA degree in studio art with a specialization in ceramics, sculpture (or interdisciplinary art studies) earned by the start date of the appointment.
• Minimum of two years (beyond graduate school teaching) of successful college/university teaching of beginning and advanced levels of ceramic art.
• Record of professional accomplishment in research and creative activity with evidence of a trajectory toward prominence in the field.
• Demonstrated ability to teach beginning and advanced levels of ceramic art and 3D foundations.
• In-depth knowledge of the history of visual art and the contemporary art landscape in a global society.
• Strong conceptual, design and technical skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Working knowledge of ceramic materials, equipment, tools and processes.
• Proficiency in primary ceramic forming techniques (throwing, hand building and casting).
• Expertise in gas and electric kiln firing, and alternative firing methods.
• Knowledge of health and safety requirements in handling ceramic materials and operating ceramics studio equipment and tools.
• Successful procurement of grants or other research funding.
• Experience with studio art and/or foundations curriculum development.
• Experience with cross-disciplinary approaches (such as installation, environment, performance, collaboration, and/or participatory art practice).
• Expertise in 3D printing and other 3D/CAD technologies.
• Service related activities in undergraduate art programs or professional organizations.
• Teaching, mentoring, research or service that contributed to an equitable and diverse scholarly environment or that enhanced inclusion of individuals from historically underrepresented groups.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will
be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/23741.
A complete application will consist of:
1. Letter of application stating how your experience and credentials fulfill the requirements for this position (not to exceed 2 pages).
2. Current curriculum vitae.
3. PDF with 20 images representing personal creative work and an accompanying list of titles, media and dates (May include excerpts from time-based works no longer than 5 minutes each.).
4. PDF with 20 images of student work created under your direction with a list of course title(s), media, dates and a brief description of assignment(s).
5. Statement of teaching philosophy (1 page maximum).
6. Statement addressing your current creative work/research (1 page maximum).
7. Contact information (email, phone) for 3 current references.
Examples of web/video/animation/motion graphics must be listed as Hyperlinks within the PDF file and link to portfolio web sites or video sharing sites such as Vimeo. Do not upload motion graphics files.
Finalists will be asked to provide photocopies of graduate transcripts. The candidate selected for hire will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree granting institutions.
All correspondence regarding this search will be conducted via email. Please
send any inquires to [email protected] and include job number #20190068FAC in all correspondence.
Texas State University, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Digital Files (Personal Creative Works)
- Digital Files (Students Work)
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Artistic Philosophy
- Additional Document
- DD 214/DD1300
- Veteran's Preference