Assistant Professor or Associate Professor in Exercise Science
Posting InformationPosting Information Position Title Assistant Professor or Associate Professor in Exercise Science Job Posting Number 20190062FAC Job Location San Marcos Department Dept of Health & Human Performance Position Description
The Department of Health and Human Performance at Texas State University invites applications for the position of assistant professor or associate professor in exercise science. We are seeking candidates that can contribute to Texas State’s Translational Health Research Initiative, in the area of community physical activity, health, and wellness promotion. Candidates conducting community engaged scholarship focusing on combatting physical activity disparities in under served populations are preferred. Texas State University offers a comprehensive employee wellness program, led by an interdisciplinary research team that provides opportunities for collaborative studies.
The Department presently has 51 full time faculty and serves approximately 3,300 undergraduate and graduate students seeking degrees in athletic training, exercise and sports science, health education, and recreation. Our academic programs offer both bachelor’s and master’s degrees. The Department of Health and Human Performance has received approval to plan a proposal for an interdisciplinary doctorate program.
The successful candidate will be a strong teacher and established researcher. This is a full-time, tenured faculty position with a nine-month academic year appointment beginning fall 2019. The successful candidate will: (1) be responsible for delivering engaged learning and instruction in undergraduate and graduate exercise science courses (e.g., fitness assessment and programming, physical activity and disease prevention; (2) sustain a focused area of research that results in peer reviewed publications and external funding; (3) serve as an advisor to master’s degree students; and (4) serve on committees and participate in official activities at the department, college, and university levels.Required Qualifications
• Earned doctorate in exercise science, kinesiology, exercise physiology, epidemiology, measurement and evaluation, sociocultural determinants of physical activity, or related field.
• Experience teaching at the university level.
• Demonstrable evidence of research and scholarship wellness and prevention related physical activity assessment and services, in community and/or work site settings in areas such as obesity, physical activity disparities, under served populations, or diabetes.
• Evidence of potential to obtain external funding for research.
The successful candidate will receive the appropriate rank and title of assistant professor or associate professor based on university and department established standards.Preferred Qualifications
• Interest and willingness to be a contributing member of an interdisciplinary research team to advance community engaged scholarship focusing on minimizing physical activity disparities and promoting wellness in diverse populations, and/or support the university employee wellness program.
• Ability to utilize a variety of instructional strategies, such as face-to face delivery, online, hybrid, experiential learning, or field-based experiences to engage student with diverse needs and experiences.
• Demonstrable evidence of sustained scholarship.
• Demonstrable evidence of external funding.
Experience in service roles on campus and in professional organizations.
• Professional certification in an area aligned with research agenda.
• Experience in teaching and mentoring graduate students.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/23567.
To ensure full consideration all materials must arrive by November 16, 2018. The application must include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, evidence of research and scholarship (e.g., reprints of recent publications), names and contact information of three references, and a copy of official transcripts from the terminal degree program.
If you have questions, contact, Search Committee Chair, Dr. Jan Hodges at [email protected].Proposed Start Date Fall 2019 Open Date Review Date 11/16/2018 Close Date Open Until Filled? Yes Legal Notices
Texas State University, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Examples of Recent Publications
- Samples of Scholarly Work/Research
- Examples of Recent Publications #2
- Examples of Recent Publications #4
- DD 214/DD1300
- Veteran's Preference
- List of References