Posted: February 27, 2019
The Controller provides leadership overseeing the daily operations of the Student Billing and Finance offices. The position is responsible for general accounting, data control, payroll, contracts and grants accounting, accounts payables, plant fund accounting, working capital investments, purchasing and accounts receivables. This position assists the College’s external auditor in the preparation of the annual audit plan as it relates to the preparation of the College Annual Fiscal Report to the State University of New York.QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree with seven (7) or more years’ experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified, along with experience in management and leadership positions.
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations, and SUNY financial policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of current changes and/or developments in federal, state, local accounting laws, and College policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop financial plans and manage resources.
- Knowledge of fiscal controls related to the safeguarding of institutional funds.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections.
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Knowledge of staff hiring procedures.
- Organizing and coordinating skills.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- A Master’s degree in Business Administration with 7 years of progressively complex experience in government, business, industry, and/or education with at least three (3) years of which is related to business and financial administration in a college or university
- Oversees the overall operations of unit(s) reporting to this position.
- Exercises broad supervision of unrestricted and restricted fiscal activity to ensure sufficient fiscal controls to safeguard institutional funds while allowing the College to accomplish its mission.
- Maintains current knowledge of and implements changes based on College policies and procedures, federal and state policies and directives and current accounting practices, which directly or indirectly impact the College and its component units.
- Coordinates financial statements, annual financial reports, audit activities, and other information reports and requests to ensure the accuracy and integrity of financial reporting.
- Serves as the College’s financial audits coordinator.
- Assists with the development and management of the College’s annual budgets and performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Provides assistance to the College’s divisions, departments and component units regarding accounting and budgeting policies and procedures.
- Provides costing data for revenue generating programs to assist divisions and departments in the development of new programs and the reporting for the outcomes of existing programs.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the department’s goals and objectives; trains, supervises, and evaluates departmental staff.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives and operating procedures; monitors effectiveness and implements changes required for improvement.
- Oversees, approves, and implements computer software and hardware and provides leadership in the management, design, and development of automated financial management systems, which support the fiscal and operational functions of the College.
- Recommends and participates in the development of College policies and procedures.
- Serve on College committees.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for full consideration we strongly encourage candidates to submit all required materials prior to the review start date of March 15, 2019. The hiring range for this position is $69,000 to $77,000.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this employment opportunity, and E-mail your cover letter, resume and the name, address and telephone number of (3) professional references to: