Executive Director of Residence Life
Executive Director of Residence Life
Posted: August 28, 2019
SUNY Sullivan is seeking to fill the position of Executive Director of Residence Life. Reporting to the Dean of Students, the Executive Director is the senior management position for the Lazarus Levine Residence Hall and the Eco Green Townhouses and is responsible for the oversight and operation of all facets of residence life at SUNY Sullivan. Areas of responsibility include: coordination with all relevant college services and student affairs, supervision and/or delegation in the areas of residence management and administration, resident student programming, customer service, business and fiscal operations, buildings and grounds operations, and overall quality of residence life at SUNY Sullivan.
This position is classified as Management Confidential.QUALIFICATIONS
This is a full-time, twelve-month position that includes sharing evening and weekend responsibilities.
- Master Degree in a related field is required.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in residence life work with increasing degrees of responsibility in residence life management.
- Additional experience working with a board of directors or similar body is required.
- Demonstrated experience in budget development and financial management.
- The ideal candidate will possess proven leadership qualities, excellent oral and written communication skills as well as the ability to inspire achievement among students.
- Develop and administer an annual plan for residence hall programs, including the supporting budgets.
- Plan and execute social, developmental, cultural, and academic events for residents of the residence halls in collaboration with the learning center, faculty, and residence hall staff.
- Work with Student Advocate and Learning Center staff to develop and support tutoring and mentoring programs for residential students.
- Develop leadership and mediation skills in residential students by conducting weekend and evening programs and workshops and utilizing students who successfully demonstrate mediation skills to assist fellow students in resolving conflicts.
- Work with relevant college personnel to develop and market summer programming at the resident facility.
Student Recruitment and Orientation
- Collaborate with the Office of Recruitment and Admissions to support recruitment-related activities such as tours of the residence halls.
- In collaboration with Residence Hall staff and Student Activities, coordinate new student orientation for both fall and spring semesters.
- Oversee the Residence Hall and Student Billing staffs’ process by monitoring and assuring good communication to students regarding license issuance, deposits, assignment of roommates, and helping students to understand what living in a residence hall is like before they arrive.
Administration and Operations
Safety and Security
- Coordinate with the Dean of Student Development Services and the Office of Public Safety to ensure the student conduct and discipline processes meets all standards of due process and required reporting, while balancing the safety and well-being of the college and residence hall communities.
- Reinforce the safety net by collaborating with the Counseling Center and others involved with crisis intervention.
- Work with the College’s finance office staff to develop and manage the annual multi-year budgets, administer the billing, accounts payable, accounts receivable processes, and to prepare financial statements and a cash flow projection for the residence hall.
- Work with the College purchasing office to negotiate and execute contracts with the approval of the College President.
- Facilitate the Residence Hall Council in areas of programming, budgeting, and authorizing expenditures from FSA accounts.
- Discharge supervisory responsibilities: Plan, assign, and direct the work of Residence Hall staff; conduct regular performance appraisals; recruit, orient, train, reward, discipline, and discharge employees; address complaints and resolves issues.
- Coordinate the Residence Hall ID/access card system in: the student bus passes, parking permits, and the Voter Registration program
- Coordinate with Public Safety and Buildings & Grounds for security and maintenance coverage in the residence halls.
- Coordinates the development of a Residence Life Handbook and other publications necessary for promoting and operating the Residence life program.
- Develop and implement an assessment plan for each function to include: programmatic learning outcomes aligned with appropriate institutional learning outcomes; evaluation and measurement – using best practices and evidence-based assessment – of all programs and services; and a process for using the evaluation results for continuous improvement.
- Coordinate resident feedback to Residence Hall staff.
- Provide periodic progress reports to the FSA, SGA, College administration, and Dorm Corp Board.
Policies and Procedures
- Recommend policies and procedures, consistent with the mission and goals of the SCCCDC and in agreement with the SCCC handbook and policies to enhance student engagement and promote sound financial practices.
- Acts as the Dormitory Corporation’s primary contact with SCCC for matters pertaining to residence life, identifying issues, and organizing and educating local constituency in support of students in the residence halls.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for full consideration we strongly encourage candidates to submit all required materials immediately. The hiring range for this position is $55,000 to $62,500. Please email your cover letter, resume and the name, address and telephone number of (3) professional references to the Office of Human Resources. Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this employment opportunity.
Email: [email protected]