Posted: February 19, 2019
SUNY Sullivan Dormitory Corporations is seeking to fill the position of Resident Director (RD). Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Student Engagement, the Resident Director (RD) is a live-in, 12-month professional position with primary responsibility to coordinate developmental programs, activities, mediation and policy enforcement with the Resident Assistant (RA) staff. The RD will also work with college personnel in developing, planning and implementing residence hall activities for the benefit of the residence hall occupants. Hours will vary based needs of the residence hall. Nights and weekends are required.QUALIFICATIONS
- RD’s must have a Bachelor’s Degree; a Master’s Degree in a student personnel field, counseling or related field is preferred.
- Experience in residence hall living and/or two or more years in a related college student personnel area are required.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office software.
- Possession of or ability to obtain certification in CPR/AED and First Aid.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with multi-cultural population and awareness of issues affecting women and minorities.
- The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with students, athletes, staff, faculty, alumni, administrators, and parents.
- The ability to inspire achievement and leadership among students and staff.
- Provide management and leadership of two residential facilities housing up to 380 residents.
- Evaluate, schedule, supervise and develop a team of RAs with the goal of enabling them to effectively conduct the daily long-term operation of the halls, handle campus housing issues, policies, procedures, and special concerns.
- Develop and implement social, cultural and educational programs for dormitory residents. May work with the college’s student activities, athletics and learning center staff as well as the Assistant Dean for Student Engagement in developing and implementing programs.
- Working with the Director of Student Activities, Director of Athletics, the Assistant Dean for Student Engagement and Housing and the Coordinator of First Year Experience, develops an orientation program for residents with the intent to augment positive roommate and floor resident interaction, and encourage positive respect among diverse residents.
- Under the guidance of the Assistant Dean for Student Engagement, conducts monthly development and training for RA staff.
- Enforce and monitor the enforcement of dormitory policies and rules by RAs, Assistant RAs and security personnel.
- Investigate all alleged infractions, conduct room inspections/searches and report findings to the Assistant Dean for Student Engagement. Recommends disciplinary actions, and participates in all hearings.
- Participate in interviewing and selecting Resident Assistant staff members.
- Hold regular published office hours.
- Work with the Assistant Dean and campus personnel in supporting summer program residents regarding access to facilities, quality of services, acquiring and dispensing special supplies or furnishings, and responding to reasonable needs of temporary residents.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Dean.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The hiring range for this position is $30,000 per annum, including housing and benefits. Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this employment opportunity. Please E-mail your cover letter, resume and the name, address and telephone number of (3) professional references to: