Note: The following position is being shared from the employer, New Hope Community. While the work will be done at the New Hope Farm located on SUNY Sullivan’s campus, the college is not hiring the position. Farmer
Posted: September 17, 2019
- Determine types and quantities of crops or livestock to be raised, according to factors such as market conditions, federal program availability, and soil conditions.
- Harvest crops at New Hope Farm and Greenhouse.
- Install and shift irrigation systems to irrigate fields evenly or according to crop need.
- Monitor crops as they grow in order to ensure that they are growing properly and are free from diseases and contaminants.
- Perform crop production duties such as planning, tilling, planting, fertilizing, cultivating, spraying, and harvesting.
- Plan crop activities based on factors such as crop maturity and weather conditions.
- Select and purchase supplies and equipment such as seed, fertilizers, and farm machinery.
- Set up and operate farm machinery to cultivate, harvest, and haul crops.
- Assemble, position, and secure structures such as trellises, sheds, or fences.
- Demonstrate and explain farm work techniques and safety regulations to workers/volunteers.
- Grow out-of-season or early crops in greenhouses or cold-frame beds, or bud and graft plant stock.
- Hire, train and direct workers/volunteers engaged in planting, cultivating, irrigating, harvesting, and marketing crops, and in raising livestock.
- Lubricate, adjust, and make minor repairs to farm equipment.
- Maintain facilities such as fencing, water supplies, and outdoor housing and wind shelters.
- Facilitate community integration activities/events in conjunction with the farmer assistant to continue existing activities (tours etc) and expand opportunities into new ventures (Bee Keeping, Farmer’s Markets, Workshops, etc.)
- Guide and support Farmer/ Horticulture Assistant to perform job expectations at NHC farm and greenhouse.
- Collaborate with external entities such as Sullivan Community College and Sullivan Renaissance on areas of mutual interests.
- Day Habilitation Services, Supported Work, Residential and other NHC departments to expand and develop farming/horticulture skills in individuals.
- Education (Required)
- High School or better.
- Experience (Required)
- 3 years: Working on a producing farm.
- Licenses & Certifications (Required)
- NYS Driver’s License.
To apply for this opportunity, click this link and create an account.