Head Women's Softball Coach/PE Instructor (One Year Temporary) Fresno City College
Posting DetailsAnnouncement Information Posting Number AA2018-0645 Title Head Women's Softball Coach/PE Instructor (One Year Temporary) Fresno City College Campus Location Fresno City College Start Date 08/08/2019 Essential Functions of Position
The ideal candidate will share Fresno City College’s commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. As of Spring 2018, we currently enroll approximately 24,000 students in which 58% are Latinx, 9% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 6% are Black/African American, 19% are White, 1% American Indian/Alaska Native, and 8% are multiracial. Fresno City College is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves.
Under the general direction of the Director of Athletics and Dean of Allied Health, Physical Education and Athletics and in conformance with all State, League and District policies and regulations, the Head Women’s Softball Coach/PE Instructor at Fresno City College will be responsible for:
- Providing direction for all facets of a successful college women’s softball program, including the selection and direct oversite of assistant coaches;
- Collaborating with athletic support staff (trainer, equipment manager, etc.) to meet team needs;
- Developing and implementing a strong student/athlete recruitment program for women’s softball, including recruiting assignments of all assistant coaches, as appropriate;
- Assisting in building strong relations between the community and the athletic department, particularly with the high schools of the District;
- Working with athletic counselors in assisting student athletes complete their academic requirements at the community college to transfer to four-year institutions or otherwise meet academic goals; and
- Developing and implementing appropriate fundraising activities in accordance with College and District policies.
- Teaching courses as assigned within the Physical Education, Health and Recreation Departments, depending on qualifications and experience;
- Supporting, mentoring and advising students including scheduling sufficient weekly office hours on campus;
- Serving on and attending department, college, and district committees as needed;
- Participating in program review, student learning outcome development and assessment to improve student learning;
- Teaching assignments in a variety of instructional settings and times, including evening and/or weekends, on-line or off-campus and large group instruction classes as needed; and
- Otherwise fulfilling all of the duties and responsibilities of instructors as required by Administrative Regulation 7122.
- Master’s in physical education, exercise science, education with an emphasis in physical education, kinesiology, physiology of exercise or adaptive physical education, AND two years of directly related experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the above AND master’s in any life science, dance, physiology, health education, recreation administration or physical therapy, AND two years of directly related experience;
- A valid California Community College Credential;
- The equivalent education and/or experience (requires an equivalency).
All candidates must have evidence of responsiveness to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice within the classroom.
(NOTE: If the degrees posted on your transcript(s) do not match EXACTLY as stated above, you MUST petition for equivalency.Desirable Qualifications
- Extent of successful high school/community college/university level women’s softball coaching experience;
- Extent of athletic recruiting experience;
- Extent of fundraising experience;
- Extent of involvement in community organizations and activities;
- Experience working with a diverse student population;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students and staff;
- Related work and professional experience;
- Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusion of these groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and outcomes;
- Willingness to examine and remediate one’s instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students;
- Experience and skill with addressing issues of equity in the classroom;
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
- Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals.
Salary is $55,650 – $83,782 based on education and experience and a coaching stipend equivalent to 10% of the base salary. A doctoral stipend of $2,082 is available. In addition, the District offers an attractive fringe benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee and dependents, and life insurance. Employees are also members of the California State Teacher’s Retirement System (CalSTRS).Selection Procedure
Applications will be screened by Human Resources for completeness and to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement.
From the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and who have submitted all the required documents by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement, a selection committee will review the candidates who are best qualified based on the minimum and desirable qualifications then determine who will be invited to interview. Interviews are tentatively scheduled the week of March 18th.
The selection committee will rate responses to the interview questions, teaching demonstration, and writing prompt (if applicable). Based on this rating, a small number of applicants will be selected as the “recommended candidates”. These candidates will be forwarded to the Vice President of Instruction and College President for final interviews which are tentatively scheduled the week of April 1st.
A hiring recommendation will be made by the College President and forwarded to the Board of Trustees of State Center Community College District for final approval.
State Center Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. It is our pledge to treat all applicants fairly and equitably in the recruitment and selection process. We endeavor to be a service-minded organization and respond to the needs of our applicants.
For more information, contact the Academic Human Resources Office, 1525 E. Weldon Avenue, Fresno, California, 93704, (559) 243-7100. For information on Fresno City College or State Center Community College District, visit our website at www.scccd.edu. Please refer to Position No. 2544.
Submission of application and related materials is the applicant’s responsibility and must be submitted through the district’s online applicant portal. The District reserves the right to re-advertise or to delay indefinitely the filling of a position if it is deemed that the applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available. All application materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.Additional Information
This is a full-time, one-year, temporary position.Additional Information about the Position http://scccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/2559 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * At the time of application, are your qualifications/degree(s) EXACTLY as stated in the Minimum Qualifications section of the job announcement? NOTE: If not, you must answer yes when asked if you would like to petition for equivalency (next question).
- * Would you like to petition for equivalency based on your education and/or experience including knowledge and skills gained from informal activities? NOTE: If your qualifications do not exactly match the minimum qualifications stated in the job announcement, and you fail to petition for equivalency (even if you have an approved equivalency on file with this district), your application will be considered incomplete.
- If yes, please describe your exceptional experiences, backgrounds or degrees which would be equivalent to the stated degree(s) or experience requirements.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you possess degree(s) earned from an institution outside of the United States? NOTE: If yes, you will be required to upload an evaluation service assessment (foreign transcript evaluation). A list of some available assessment agencies can be found at www.ed.gov under the National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Academic Credentials section. Please upload under Optional Evaluation Service Assessment. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
- * Provide information regarding transfer of your student athletes to the next level of competition (i.e., high school to college/two-year college to four-year college or university, etc.). Also, provide the name, title, and telephone number of the person(s) who can verify this information.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please provide your win/loss record and the name, title, and telephone number of the person(s) who will be able to verify your record.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Have any teams you have coached (either as head or assistant coach) been the subject of any disciplinary action (i.e., probation, post-season sanctions, forfeits, etc.)? If yes, please provide information regarding the cause of the disciplinary action, any sanctions imposed, and corrective action/plan to correct the causes for the disciplinary action. Whether you answer yes or no to this question, you are also required to provide the name, title, and telephone number of the person(s) who can verify this information.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your philosophy of recruiting student athletes for softball?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Fresno City College is a comprehensive community college that enables students to earn associate degrees, transfer to four-year institutions, complete general education programs, pursue continuing education courses for career success, build basic skills and engage in lifelong learning. What do you perceive the role of community college athletics to be as part of a comprehensive community college?
(Open Ended Question)
- Transcripts (Unofficial copies accepted - must indicate conferred degree(s) that support the minimum qualifications)
- Non-Confidential Letter of Recommendation 1 (Must be dated no earlier than 3 years before the filing deadline - MUST BE UPLOADED BY APPLICANT)
- Non-Confidential Letter of Recommendation 2 (Must be dated no earlier than 3 years before the filing deadline - MUST BE UPLOADED BY APPLICANT)
- Non-Confidential Letter of Recommendation 3 (Must be dated no earlier than 3 years before the filing deadline - MUST BE UPLOADED BY APPLICANT)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Application
- List of Professional References
- Evaluation Service Assessment
- Additional Documents