Flight Science Instructor (Part-Time) Reedley College
Posting DetailsAnnouncement Information Posting Number Title Flight Science Instructor (Part-Time) Reedley College Campus Location Reedley College Start Date 01/08/2018 Essential Functions of Position
The ideal candidate will share Reedley College’s commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. As of fall 2017, we currently enroll over 10,000 students of which 71% are Latinx, 1% are Filipino, 3% are Asian, 2% are African American, 19% are White, and 2% are multiracial. RC is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves.
Providing instruction in Flight Science in a variety of instructional settings and times, including evening and/or weekends, on-line or off-campus and large group instruction classes as needed, the instructor will be responsible for:
- Maintaining standards of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional position and currency in teaching Flight Science;
- Teaching lecture based flight science classes;
- Teaching lab based flight science classes at Fresno Air Terminal;
- Teaching other classes such as, Private Pilot Ground School 1, Private Pilot 1 Lab, Private Pilot Ground School 2, Private Pilot 2 Lab, Private Pilot 1 Stimulation Lab, Private Pilot 2 Stimulation Lab, Aviation History, Careers in Aviation, Remote Pilot Ground School (Drones), and/or other classes;
- Using a variety of pedagogies and integrating a wide range of instructional delivery systems including innovative and creative uses of technology for face-to-face, on-line, and/or hybrid formats;
- Communicating effectively with students;
- Using effective teaching methods appropriate to the subject matter, adherence to institutionally approved curriculum course outlines of record;
- Evaluating student progress through tests and examinations, written assignments, oral responses, etc. in keeping with course objectives;
- Providing course syllabi to students;
- Maintaining classroom records in accordance with District Policy;
- Turning in all required student grading and evaluation reports in a timely manner; and
- Otherwise fulfilling all of the duties and responsibilities of instructors as required by Administrative Regulation 7122.
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of closely related experience;
- Associate degree and six years of closely related experience;
- A valid California Community College credential;
- The equivalent education and/or experience (requires an equivalency).
All candidates must have evidence of responsiveness to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice within the classroom.Desirable Qualifications
- FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate;
- FAA Remote Pilot Certificate;
- FAA Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) or Advanced Ground Instructor (AGI) Certificate;
- FAA CFI Instrument Instructor (CFII) or Instrument Ground Instructor (IGI) Certificate;
- Related work and professional experience;
- Experience in computer assisted instruction and other instructional technologies;
- Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written) and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and administration;
- Ability to develop new and current curriculum and focus on student learning outcomes to improve student learning;
- Experience working with students of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds;
- Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusions of these groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and outcomes;
- Willingness to examine and remediate one’s instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students;
- Experience and skill with addressing issues of equity in the classroom;
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
- Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals.
Starting rates are $45.49 $61.78 lecture and $38.67 – $52.55 for lab. Sick leave accrual is based on assignment hours.Selection Procedure
The selection and hiring process will be explained by the hiring department if the candidate is extended an opportunity to interview.
Please note: This position does not have a closing date and applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position(s) is/are filled. By applying for this position, you understand that you will be placed in a continuous pool. If at any time you are no longer interested in this position, please withdraw your application.Additional Information
This is a part-time position. Open until filled. Start dates may vary.This position reports to Mendota High School.Additional Information about the Position
Teach Dual Enrollment Reedley College Flight Science classes at Mendota High School starting January 2018.
- Classes to include Private Pilot Ground School, History in Aviation and Careers in Aviation.
- Classes are scheduled 3pm to 5pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for spring 2018 semester at Mendota High School.
- These lecture based classes are part of a Flight Science Associate of Science degree offered through Reedley College. Students are eligible to be concurrently enrolled in lab based flight lesson classes at Fresno Air Terminal offered through Reedley College. Flight lab classes are offered by JB Aviation at Fresno Air Terminal and may also use the Mendota airport and/or Reedley airport.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * At the time of application, are your qualifications/degree(s) EXACTLY as stated in the Minimum Qualifications section of the job announcement? NOTE: If not, you must answer yes when asked if you would like to petition for equivalency (next question).
- * Would you like to petition for equivalency based on your education and/or experience including knowledge and skills gained from informal activities? NOTE: If your qualifications do not exactly match the minimum qualifications stated in the job announcement and you fail to petition for equivalency, your application will be considered incomplete.
- If yes, please describe your exceptional experiences, backgrounds or degrees which would be equivalent to the stated degree(s) or experience requirements.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you possess degree(s) earned from an institution outside of the United States? NOTE: If yes, you will be required to upload an evaluation service assessment (foreign transcript evaluation). A list of some available assessment agencies can be found at www.ed.gov under the National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Academic Credentials section. Please upload under Optional Evaluation Service Assessment. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
- Transcripts (Unofficial copies accepted - must indicate conferred degree(s) that support the minimum qualifications)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Evaluation Service Assessment
- Additional Documents
- Letters of Recommendation
- List of Professional References