(Part-time) Assistant Coach, Sport TBD
- Shasta College
- Redding, CA
- Faculty Jobs
- Arts & Humanities
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Athletics
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Community College
The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District (Shasta College) sits at the northern end of the Sacramento Valley, surrounded by mountains to the north, east, and west. The area provides a wide array of outdoor amenities and activities with miles of hiking and biking trails, national parks, two lakes, and the Sacramento River.
Shasta College is committed to providing its diverse student population with equitable education outcomes, contributing to the social, cultural, intellectual, and economic development of our communities. The college has been recognized as a leader in developing and implementing innovative education programs to increase student success, including accelerated pathways for high school students to achieve a bachelor's degree and for returning students to complete their Associate and Bachelor's degrees. Shasta College enrolls more than 11,000 students annually and provides educational services to students with a wide range of skills and abilities.
Our ideal candidate is motivated to join a campus community prioritizing the success of our racially and socio-economically diverse staff and student population. Providing equitable outcomes so all members of our community may enjoy safe, healthy, and vibrant educational and employment environments is critical to our success.
Part-time instructors at Shasta College enjoy significant flexibility in balancing their work schedule with other priorities. Part-time teaching in the California Community College system offers a unique opportunity to empower students to improve their lives and communities while maintaining a healthy work-life balance and pursuing other interests. Our part-time faculty engage with a diverse student population, facilitating equitable outcomes for all students seeking enrichment through our academic programs. As a part-time faculty member at Shasta College, you will join a vibrant community of educators working together to provide a positive, healthy educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives. With flexible schedules, the ability to control your work hours, and opportunities to improve the quality of our communities, teaching part-time at Shasta College is a highly rewarding and enriching employment experience.
The Shasta College division of Physical Education/Athletics is seeking to build a pool of qualified applicants for possible part-time instruction. Applicants should have previous teaching experience and experience web-enhancing or delivering courses online. We will respond to applications based on our current needs. If Shasta College no longer has a need for this advertisement, and the position has been filled prior to the closing date, this advertisement will be removed from the website.
Under administrative leadership, it is the responsibility of the adjunct instructor to teach courses as assigned and to perform those tasks that support advancement of the vision, mission, and values of the community college district.
Responsibilities designated below are primary to the adjunct instructor role. Some of the listed professional responsibilities are examples of activities, which are part of the unique role of each adjunct instructor and are reflective of their individual expertise and interests. Typical Duties, Knowledge and Ability
1. Meet classes/laboratories on days and times as assigned according to the current academic calendar.
2. Develop and implement instruction for each class and laboratory period, which is consistent with the official course outline.
3. Develop and distribute during the first week of class, a written syllabus for each course to communicate to students, course objectives, grading criteria and classroom policies.
4. Demonstrate respect for student rights as specified in District policy and applicable laws.
5. Submit requisitions for textbooks and instructional materials and/or recommend to department chairs/coordinators appropriate text selections, in a timely manner.
6. Refer students to tutoring and related student services when appropriate.
7. Supervise students in off-campus or co-curricular activities when participation is expected as part of a course requirement or where such supervision is part of the instructor's load.
Evaluation of Students
1. Periodically, evaluate student progress toward meeting course objectives; advise the students about methods of evaluation and the results of the evaluation.
2. Return assignments and examination results in a timely fashion.
3. Assign grades to students in the manner provided by District policy and administrative procedure and prescribed by the Education Code and Title V regulations of the State of California.
4. Submit required administrative paperwork, including grade report forms, in a timely and accurate manner.
1. Participate in the development and review of curriculum as needed.
1. Advise students enrolled in the instructor's classes on such matters as:
b. major course requirements for the degree or certificate;
c. learning skills;
d. collateral or enrichment reading or experience opportunities for further understanding of the course or subject field; e. career alternatives/opportunities related to the subject field.
1. Participate in professional development activities.
2. Continue to develop professional skills and knowledge.
3. Attend/participate in professional conferences, seminars or meetings.
1. Attend and participate in department/program/division meetings (voluntary).
2. Abide by departmental regulations concerning the proper use, care and security of equipment and District property.
3. Participate in the process of shared governance through committee work of the department, center, college and/or district level; participate in other significant nonclassroom college, district or community activities.
4. Participate in articulation activities and coordination of inter-divisional and intradivisional learning activities (voluntary).
5. Attend advisory committee meetings when required by divisional programs.
6. Report absences due to illness or for personal necessity and the intended date of return, if at all possible, prior to the class meeting to the dean/director.
7. Provide recommendations for purchase of instructional supplies and equipment.
8. Attend/participate in "in house" conferences, seminars or meetings (voluntary).
9. Provide administrators, chairs and coordinators with sample instruction materials as may be deemed necessary, such as examinations, lab projects or course syllabuses.
10. Fulfill all obligations as established in the current collective bargaining agreement.
OR any associate degree and six years of professional experience.
The state of California has established minimum qualifications for academic positions in California Community Colleges to promote professionalism, instructional integrity, and academic rigor. The primary minimum qualification for academic positions is an advanced degree in the relevant subject matter for the position. Applicants who do not meet the minimum education requirement(s) for a discipline may still be qualified for the position, if they can demonstrate they have acquired the knowledge, skills, and abilities conferred in the degree program through any combination of education and experience.Shasta College is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all candidates and strongly encourages candidates who believe they meet the minimum qualifications for a position through equivalency to apply for consideration. The Shasta College Academic Senate has established standards for determining equivalency in faculty positions, which are described here:
Please note the Equivalency Committee will consider only those applicants who formally request equivalency consideration. Candidates applying for equivalency must provide evidence demonstrating they possess equivalent qualifications prior to the closing date stated in the job announcement. Candidates interested in equivalency must state their interest in a cover letter and briefly summarize how they meet the minimum qualifications for the position and attach all relevant evidence demonstrating equivalency to their application.The committee will review all documents sent by the candidate and shall approve or disapprove equivalency following the guidelines in the Procedure for Establishing Equivalency.
Questions regarding the application process, including equivalency, may be directed to the Shasta College Human Resources Department at (530) 242-7640 or [email protected] InformationTo be considered a candidate for this position, the applicant must submit the following materials:
Online Application with Additional Required Materials to be attached to application:
Shasta College is a comprehensive community college with campuses in Shasta, Tehama, and Trinity Counties, offering students a unique educational experience. Small class size allows faculty to provide personalized instruction and hands-on training. Shasta College is committed to providing access to the latest information technology.
The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Community College District encompasses over 10,000 square miles serving approximately 247,700 residents of beautiful northeastern California. The College is located four miles east of Redding, which is the population center of the upper Sacramento Valley. Located 220 miles northeast of San Francisco, the campus is situated on 337 acres and commands spectacular views of Mt. Shasta, Mt. Lassen, and the Trinity Alps. Nearby are some of the outstanding recreational areas in the western United States, including Shasta, Trinity, and Whiskeytown Lakes.
Shasta College enrolls approximately 11,000 students, including on-campus day, on-campus evening, and off-campus students taking classes in extended education centers throughout the District. The College currently employs about 150 full-time faculty and administrators, 400 part-time instructors, and 200 support staff.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert