Working Title:Career Assistant Department:Center for Career Exploration and Success Division:Enrollment Management and Student Success Campus:Oxford Posting Date:11/29/2018 Job Category:Student Position Group:Student Hourly Student Pay Grade Minimum:8.55 Job Description Summary:
Job ID = 6625
Career Assistants, or CAs, serve primarily as peer advisors to all Miami University students. CAs provide guidance and critiques on job search documents, including resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn. Their primary responsibilities include conducting resume reviews during student drop-ins, leading workshops on the aforementioned topics, and writing salient content from a student perspective for the Center for Career Exploration and Success (CCES) newsletters.
CAs work 8-10 hours a week in the CCES. Additionally, we host satellite hours in the Office of Diversity Affairs, Farmer School of Business, and College of Engineering and Computing.
- Conduct interactive, 1:1 peer reviews on student resumes and cover letters
- Teach students to use Handshake to apply for internships and jobs, schedule appointments and Mock Interviews, research employers, etc.
- Develop students’ networking skills, including how to leverage LinkedIn in job searches
- Administer student check-in at CCES events and workshops
- Familiarize students with CCES resources and staff
- Respond to email inquiries
- Present after-hours resume, Career Fair prep, and networking workshops at the CCES office, for student orgs, and at residence halls
- Triage students’ preliminary career questions and provide resources that students may not know that they need
- Write short content pieces for CCES’ weekly newsletter
- Assist with setup, day-of, and day-after interviews for fall Career Fair and Spring Internship and Career Expo (ICE)
- Attend bi-weekly, one-hour Career Associate all-staff meeting
- Complete online modules over breaks
- Attend a 5-hour training prior to the beginning of each semester
QualificationsCareer Associates must be undergraduate students enrolled at Miami University as full-time students. Career Associates must possess strong communications skills, both verbally and written, and should have some familiarity with LinkedIn. Successful candidates are open-minded, interpersonally skilled, enthusiastic to learn, and dedicated both to the office and the students we serve.
Work Location:0045 Armstrong Student Center Hours Per Week/Work Schedule (Student Jobs):8 - 10 Hours For Inquiries for Posting, Contact:Sandy Burger Posting Inquiries Contact Information (phone, email...):[email protected] Required Documents:Cover Letter, Resume Application Types Accepted:Student Application Criminal Background Check Required:No