Working Title:Academic Advisor Department:Regl Student Services Division:Academic Affairs Campus:Hamilton Posting Date:12/03/2018 Job Category:Staff Position Group:Unclassified Job Description Summary:
Job ID: 6640
Academic Advisor to provide accurate and current curricular information to students pursuing baccalaureate and associate degrees at Miami University; special focus on Miami Regional - College of Liberal Arts and Applied Science degrees and programs.
- Provide accurate and current curricular information to students pursuing baccalaureate and associate degrees at Miami University; special focus on Miami Regional - College of Liberal Arts and Applied Science degrees and programs.
- Assist in planning and implementation of targeted academic advising programs for student groups such as: University Studies, College Credit Plus (CCP), international, transfer, and other assigned populations.
- Coordinate and implement outreach interventions for at-risk students focused on retention and academic success.
- Assist students with petition processes for academic actions and transfer credits, as appropriate.
- Support the Office of Admission during recruitment & enrollment programs by presenting to prospective students and their families.
- Utilize career development resources to assist students in identifying appropriate major options.
- Participate in academic advising services during the Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration programs (SOAR).
- Serve as an academic advising trainer and resource for faculty and faculty advisors.
- Partner with academic advisors across the University to ensure consistency in information and services to students.
- Utilize advising tools such as DARS/u.Achieve, transferology.com, SSC Campus/Navigate, and SCT Banner.
- Assist in developing departmental long range plans and objectives, based on the needs of the campus.
- Instruct up to three credit hours per-term of student success course work, such as UNV 101: I am Miami, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by director.
Master’s degree, preferably in student affairs, counseling or related field upon appointment; one year of post-baccalaureate experience in academic advising and/or related student development programs in a university or community college setting. Relevant experience gained during a graduate program may also apply. Position is not eligible for H-1B sponsorship.Preferred Qualifications:
An understanding of student development theory and an understanding of the purpose and advantages of a liberal arts education; experience in working with at-risk, diverse student populations; excellent written and oral communication (including public speaking), interpersonal, collaborative skills, organization, and technological skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty and staff.Hours Per Week/Percent Time:40 hours / 100% Work Hours/Schedule:Mon-Fri 8:00-5:00; evenings and weekends possible Duration:12 months Temporary:No Benefit Eligible:Yes Date to Begin Screening:12/10/2018 Required Documents:Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, List of Three References Application Types Accepted:Unclassified Criminal Background Check Required:Yes