Director, Tax and Compliance
Director, Tax and ComplianceSchool/Division:Office of Financial Affairs Office:Controller's OfficeFull-Time or Part-Time:Full-TimeAbout HofstraHofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.Description:Reporting to the Controller, the Director, Tax and Compliance is responsible for the development and monitoring of University policies to ensure continued compliance with various federal and state tax regulations, preparation/review of tax and other government filings. The Director will also partner with departments throughout the University to implement best practices, provide oversight of the annual internal controls review process, be expected to remain current on all tax regulations and ensure the proper training of relevant University staff. This is a highly visible role, therefore the proven ability to cultivate and maintain relationships is essential.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Partners with departments across campus to understand and evaluate University operational activities that may have tax implications and recommend policies and procedures to ensure compliance.
• Coordinates and oversee all tax filings, including 990 and 990T, W-2’s, 1099’s, 5500’s, 1098’s and payroll quarterly and annual filings.
• Provides oversight and documentation of Post Issuance Tax Exempt Debt Review/Compliance, including review of UBIT, private use, arbitrage and preparation of Schedule K.
• Reviews contracts/grants for potential tax implications and/or private use.
• Reviews scholarships for potential tax implications and reporting requirements
• Provides oversight of independent contractor requirements and international treaty review.
• Provides oversight of tax implications for all employee benefits and review of employee taxes.
• Conducts tax review of development events.
• Works with financial affairs and other departments to ensure proper training.
• Works with Controller to oversee, coordinate and manage process for annual internal controls review.
• Provides oversight of Abandoned Property process and other government filings.
• Performs other financial reporting and compliance responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications:•Bachelor’s degree required.
•Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field preferred.
•CPA certification and/or JD preferred.
•Minimum of 5-7 years’ tax experience required.
•Strong technical tax and accounting skills required.
•Demonstrated success building relationships. Must be able to negotiate and partner with the campus community. Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
•Proficiency with financial systems required, as well as Microsoft Excel and Word.
•Experience with Banner or similar ERP platform preferred.
Application Instructions:For consideration, please send, fax or e-mail a cover letter and resume, including salary history to:
Office of the Vice President for Financial Affairs
Hempstead, New York 11549-1280
Fax (516) 463-6870
e-mail: [email protected]
Voluntary Self-IdentificationAll applicants are invited to complete the three (3) voluntary self-identification formsDeadline:Open until filledDate Posted: 01/11/2019Posting Number: 896955