Date: February 27, 2019
Title: Staff Nurse
Description: The staff nurse at Perrella Health Center utilizes nursing skills and knowledge to assist a diverse population of students to realize optimum physical, emotional, intellectual, and social well-being by facilitating preventative health care, assisting with care of ill or injured students, and by promoting healthcare education that assists students to become educated consumers of health services. The staff nurse also plays a role in assuring that students are in compliance with College, State, and Federal regulations regarding health requirements. As a representative of the Hartwick College, the staff nurse is expected to comport his/herself in a professional manner both on and off campus.
- Facilitates medical visits: Obtains and documents pre-visit data including vital signs, chief complaint, and other screening data appropriate for the visit.
- Implements the treatment plan: Follows provider orders to obtain and label lab specimens (may include venipuncture) for transport according to OSHA standards, label medications to be dispensed from in-house formulary, provide vaccinations, provide medication or diagnosis specific education, document appropriately for billing/insurance and statistical tracking purposes, and facilitate the referral process for off-campus testing or appointments if indicated.
- Schedules nurse and provider appointments: Assists administrative assistant with scheduling of routine appointments and collaborates with provider when necessary to determine if referral to urgent care or emergent care services is indicated.
- Complies with health care standards for documentation of interactions with students, parents, faculty, staff, and outside agencies.
- Assists director with review of student health forms and immunization records for compliance with College, State, and National requirements: Reviews forms of all incoming 1st year and transfer students, international students, all new and returning scholar athletes, and all students in the nursing major annually.
- Monitors inventory and submits requisitions for purchase of necessary medications, and medical office supplies. Assists with office maintenance duties when not providing direct patient care.
- Participates in staff meetings, patient care conferences, and continuing education and provides guidance for student workers (work-study).
- Assists with health requirement review and care of youth summer sports campers
- Maintains good customer service standards
Qualifications: The successful candidate for this position will demonstrate a dedication to customer service and provision of health care services to a diverse student population while interacting as a member of the health care team. Candidates must possess strong interpersonal communication skills, the ability to work well as a member of an aligned professional team, and basic computer skills.
Minimum requirements for this position are a current NYS license as an licensed practical (LPN) or register (RN) nurse, with at least 2 years of clinical nursing experience. Experience in phlebotomy is preferred. Computer skills and the ability to utilize an electronic medical record are necessary. Candidates must meet all current mandated NYS professional nursing requirements including being current in infection control and holding CPR certification. A valid driver’s license is required.