Assistant to the President
Assistant to the President
Date: May 9, 2019
Title: Assistant to the President
Description The Assistant will support the President, President’s Office and the College by serving as the first contact for many on and off-campus inquiries. The Assistant will work cooperatively with the Senior Assistant to the President in performing duties that provide confidential direct support for the President, the Senior Assistant, and many offices around the College. The Assistant must be able to meet deadlines and function both as an effective team player and independently in a demanding environment with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail. This position requires a seasoned professional who possesses excellent communication, customer service, and budget management skills.
- Oversight of the President’s Office budget
- Track expenditures
- Work with finance on requisitions and purchases; make suggestions and research on budgetary expenses
- Manage the expense reports of the President and Senior Assistant
- Answer the telephone and greet visitors who have business with the College in general or with the President’s Office specifically.
- Work collaboratively with the senior assistant to cover Thornwood when needed.
- Administrative support of Board Meetings, Commencement, Opening Convocation, Matriculation and Inaugurations
- Procure regalia, hoods and honorary degrees as needed
- Budget support
- Physical assistance during events
- Data entry of IAContact reports from IAContacts email
- Assist in the execution of mailings for major campus events
- Transcribe President’s dictations; input of dictations and correspondence for the President into Datatel
- Assess the nature of each inquiry and make independent decisions on whether an issue should be brought to the attention of the President, the Senior Assistant, or to another campus office in order to assure timely and complete customer service.
- Effective communication and relationships with other offices on Campus, donors, board members, governmental representatives and other constituents.
- Coordinate an effective and efficient work environment within the President’s Office and across the College through communication that is both accurate and clear, and by using excellent judgement in decision-making about when communication is necessary or can benefit the work of the President’s Office and/or the College.
- Manage daily functions of the office, including inventory, filing and maintenance.
- Provide support to the senior assistant as assigned.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Budgeting, marketing, and general promotion for campus rentals and the summer rentals program. Responsibilities include:
- Management of the budget, processing payments, tracking of payments and billing, processing refunds and return of security deposits, payments for workers and summer help, and all expenses.
- Responsible for the marketing and promotion of rental opportunities including the website, all online marketing, coordination with third-party vendors, vetting marketing opportunities and aligning with the overall vision for the project.
- Work collaboratively with the various divisions on campus to successfully execute all events, summer camps, meetings, etc. to fulfill the needs of the client, and work within the current structure and existing programs.
- Work in collaboration with Aramark Catering and Aramark Facilities for successful oversight and turnover of space on campus and event-related requests.
- Maintain a calendar for common space rentals.
- Work collaboratively with the onsite manager on the execution of all events.
- Work with the onsite manager to coordinate tours, process requests for quotes and be the main point of contact for all incoming queries.
Qualifications: Minimum requirements for this position are a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with at least five years’ of administrative experience. Event planning and coordination experience is a plus.
The Assistant must have excellent expressive and receptive communication skills, including the ability to write clearly and competently. Budget management and analysis skills are required. The position requires independent judgement and decision-making skills. Requires competence with electronic office tools, proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Experience with Datatel is a plus. Basic research skills, including the ability to collect information from internet-based sources are necessary. Must have the ability to multi-task. Personal integrity and the ability to protect the confidentiality of information is required.