College of the Sequoias is seeking a candidate for a full time, tenure–track position in the Social Science Division beginning August 2019.
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting faculty who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success.
Typical teaching assignments may include courses such as General Psychology, Social Psychology, Human Sexuality, Abnormal Psychology, Personal and Social Growth, Behavior Modification, and Research Methods. Assignments may be day, evening, weekend, and/or online classes, teaching at any of our locations in Visalia, Hanford, and/or Tulare.
Participation in the governance of the District by way of committee assignments is expected. Other responsibilities include maintenance of a number of office hours, full participation in departmental responsibilities and the willingness to create and/or participate in and sustain an atmosphere of equality, which is respectful of diversity campus wide.
The candidate must meet the following criteria.
- Master's in psychology OR
- Bachelor's in psychology AND a Master's degree in counseling, sociology, statistics, neuroscience, or social work or Possession of a California Community College Teaching Credential (valid for life) in Psychology OR
- The equivalent AND
- Demonstrated sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic social, economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Note: If claiming equivalency, please complete and submit the appropriate Equivalency paperwork found at: http://www.cos.edu/About/HumanResources/Pages/Equivalency-Policy.aspx. Your equivalency paperwork must be submitted as a "supplemental attachment" within the "Attachment"section of this application.
The Social Science Division/Psychology Department is looking for evidence of the following:
- Successful teaching or work experience with diverse student populations.
- Evidence and ability to address the needs of diverse and frequently underprepared student populations taking a wide range of college level courses.
- Evidence of ability to use a variety of teaching strategies and assessment methods that encourage retention while successfully challenging a diverse student population.
- Ability to implement contemporary pedagogical philosophies, methods, and techniques including multi-media to develop and deliver instruction in classroom and lab settings.
- In-depth knowledge in one or more of the following areas: experimental psychology, human sexuality, clinical psychology, and research methods.
- Commitment to developing instructional activities, course syllabi, course outlines and other necessary material.
- At least two years of teaching experience at the adult, secondary, and /or post secondary level.
- Ability to incorporate student learning outcome objectives within course and programs and willingness to use and develop stated objectives and measures.
- Experience with course and program assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in cooperation with staff, colleagues, and students.
- Desire and evidence of an ability to take on leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole.
Applicants must submit the following material to be considered:
- Completed online application.
- Diversity Statement (included in the application packet)
- Letter of interest which addresses the Desirable Qualifications. In this letter we invite applicants to expand on strengths not covered in other parts of the application.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- A sample writing assignment appropriate for students taking a psychology course. Please include the title of the course in which the writing assignment would be assigned, rationale for using the assignment, and grading criteria or rubric.
- Please add the sample writing assignment as an attachment under "Other" within the "Attachment" section of the online job application.
- Unofficial copies of transcripts of college/university work. (If transcripts are not in English, include a summary of courses and grades). Official transcripts are required upon employment.
- Equivalency documents (If necessary)
- A minimum of two (2) recent letters of recommendation addressing pertinent experience or equivalent competencies.
Partial reimbursement for travel costs may be available for applicants traveling more than 200 miles for an interview.