College of the Sequoias Community College District is seeking an applicant to fill a full-time tenure-track position in the Economics Department. This position will begin August 2019. Other responsibilities include holding office hours and participating fully in departmental responsibilities (course outlines, program and course assessment, program review, schedule planning and staffing, and advising students) to meet the mission of the District. Participation in the governance of the District through committee work, leadership positions, and cooperation with colleagues is encouraged.
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting employees who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success.
Job duties of the Economics Professor include:
Teaching a full range of Micro and Macro Economics courses. Class assignments in Economics may include evening classes, weekend classes, and teaching of the three District locations in Visalia, Hanford and/or Tulare.
Participation in the governance of the District by way of committee assignments is expected. Responsibilities include maintenance of a number of office hours, full participation in departmental responsibilities and the willingness to create and/or participate in and sustain an atmosphere of equality, which is respectful of diversity campus wide.
The candidate must meet the following criteria.
- Master's degree in economics OR
- Bachelor's degree in economics AND Master's degree in business, business administration, business management, business education, finance, or political science OR
- The equivalent AND
- Demonstrated sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, social, economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
In looking at application materials, the Hiring Committee also seeks evidence of the following:
- Private sector experience in a related field.
- Evidence of working with students from diverse backgrounds and the ability to address the needs of frequently under-prepared students. (Diversity response will be completed as part of the application.)
- Successful teaching experience in the Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Macroeconomics, and Introductory Statistics.
- Ongoing professional development and/or recent scholarship.
- Enthusiastic participation in professional responsibilities, community and/or campus service.
- Community college teaching experience.
- Experience with course and program assessment.
- Ability to incorporate student-learning outcomes within course and programs and willingness to use and develop stated objectives and measures.
- Evidence of ability to use a variety of teaching strategies and assessment methods that encourage retention while successfully challenging a diverse student population.
- Desire and evidence of an ability to take on leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit:
- An online job application.
- Letter of interest, which addresses the Desirable Qualifications. In this letter, we invite applicants to expand on strengths not covered in other parts of the application.
- Unofficial copies of transcripts of college/university work. (If transcripts are not in English, include a summary of courses and grades). Official transcripts are required upon employment.
- A sample writing assignment you would give to students in an introductory economics class for non-majors, including your review criteria.
- A sample problem set you would assign to students in a principles of macro- or microeconomics class (introductory class for economics and business majors).
- Please add the sample writing assignment and the sample problem as an attachment under "Other" within the "Attachment" section of the online job application.
- The equivalent (if necessary)
- Two (2) recent letters of recommendation addressing pertinent experience or equivalent competencies.