Dean, School of Business
Department:: School of Business
Locations:: Oswego, NY
Posted:: Oct 11, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About SUNY Oswego:
Founded in 1861, SUNY Oswego is a public comprehensive college located in Central New York on the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, 45 minutes from Syracuse. Named one of "Top Up-and-Coming Schools" in U.S. News "America's Best Colleges" in 2010, a Kiplinger's "Best College Value" for 2015, and a "Best Northeastern College" by Princeton Review every year since the first edition in 2003, Oswego offers its 8000 undergraduate and graduate students preeminent academic programs in the arts and sciences, business, communications, and teacher education. The College's success is built on providing students outstanding educational experiences with attention to a liberal arts and sciences foundation, practical applications, interdisciplinary approaches, independent scholarly and creative work, and skills for living in multicultural and global communities. The emphasis on faculty-mentored student research and creative projects is evidenced by Quest, a daylong symposium spotlighting original student research; a stipend program for students engaged in research and creative work; and the Global Laboratory, a STEM-based research abroad program at top-ranked universities around the world. SUNY Oswego is an unusually collegial and vibrant community and is in a time of wonderful opportunities with extensive facilities construction and renovation, a forward-looking strategic plan, and expanded outreach to regional, national, and international communities.
Click here for additional information about SUNY Oswego.
Oswego is committed to enhancing its diversity. SUNY Oswego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is actively engaged in recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. We encourage applications from qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim SUNY status, or criminal conviction. Please click here to see our full non-discrimination policy.
In accordance with USCIS regulations, successful applicants must be legally able to work in the United States per the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
Requests for reasonable accommodations of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Human Resources Office by calling 315-312-2230 or emailing [email protected]
For Campus Safety information, please click here to see the Annual Security and Fire Report (Clery).
SUNY Oswego is a smoke free/tobacco/e-cigarette free campus. Click here further policy details, including education and cessation resources.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Description of the School: SUNY Oswego's School of Business has been accredited by AACSB since 2002, and was recently reaccredited in 2018, the School of Business offers undergraduate programs in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Human Resource Management, Marketing, Operations Management and Information Systems, and Risk Management and Insurance as well as graduate MBA programs in Business Administration, Health Services Administration, and Public Accounting. It also offers several five-year BS/BA+MBA programs. The online MBA program was ranked #33 in 2018 U.S. News and World Report, the highest ranked online MBA program in New York State. The School of Business also offers an undergraduate degree in Business Administration and several graduate classes at SUNY Oswego's Syracuse branch campus. The school has a strong international presence and often hosts visiting scholars as well as a number of international experiences for students. The school has an active and supportive advisory board that meets a few times a year and provides guidance and advice. Students and faculty are engaged in a range of activities including Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, Enactus (which sponsors "Launch it," a business start-up competition), and the Investment Club, which manages a $300K+ portfolio (initial investment was $250K). Graduates of Oswego's business programs are highly successful with careers ranging from the corporate sector to not-for-profit and government agencies to entrepreneurial enterprises. Click here for more information on the school.
The State University of New York at Oswego seeks an exceptional leader to become dean of the School of Business.
Posted Date: October 11, 2018
Review Date: Review of applications will begin November 15, 2018 and will continue until finalists are chosen.
Benefit Information: The State University of New York provides an excellent benefit package. Click here for more information on benefits for full-time Management Confidential staff or click here for a benefits summary.
Date of Appointment: July 2019, negotiable
The dean is the intellectual and institutional leader of the SUNY Oswego School of Business, with 1,900 undergraduate and graduate students and more than 40 full-time faculty. The School of Business is the second largest academic unit among the four colleges/schools which also include the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the School of Education, and the School of Communication, Media and the Arts.
The dean serves as the administrative officer and leader of the School of Business and its programs. The dean identifies priorities, allocates resources and directs the activities of the school. The dean serves as the school's representative to the Division of Academic Affairs, and is instrumental in developing relationships with other academic and support units on campus. Additionally, in this role, the dean is responsible for communicating the university's strategic goals and objectives to faculty as well as to external stakeholders.
Accredited by AACSB since 2002, and recently reaccredited in 2018, the School of Business offers a range of undergraduate programs, graduate MBA programs, and several five-year BS/BA+MBA programs. Graduates of Oswego's business programs are highly successful with careers in the corporate, not-for-profit, and governmental sectors. The dean is committed to faculty and student diversity, shared governance, and program relevance as well as the development of external relationships to support the school's mission.
The dean reports directly to the provost and vice president for Academic Affairs and serves as an important part of the Academic Affairs leadership team, as well as a member of the president's expanded cabinet. SUNY Oswego prides itself on its continued ability to innovate. The School of Business dean is expected to demonstrate creative thinking, foresight, and adaptive management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide independent vision and build consensus among faculty and other stakeholders in developing and implementing the School of Business strategic plan.
- Foster a collaborative culture of continuous improvement through coaching, mentoring and supporting others to achieve the school's mission and vision.
- Develop synergies to link the school's strategic plan to the SUNY Oswego strategic plan.
- Commit to learner-centered public higher education for improving student outcomes and student engagement.
- Cultivate the inclusion of engaged practitioners in classroom and other academic and professional settings.
- Actively commit to improving student success, diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Foster a culture that values intellectual integrity and ethical student behaviors.
- Value experiential learning and support the development of student-run organizations, internships and student-led competitions.
- Support faculty-student collaborations including teaching assistantships (undergraduate and graduate), research opportunities, and global initiatives with international academic partners.
Communication and Teamwork
- Operate effectively in a shared governance framework.
- Use effective listening, written and oral communication skills to create clear, timely communications that positively influence the thoughts and actions of others.
- Excel in collaborative settings for promoting excellence in data-driven decision making.
- Build effective relationships with external constituents including the greater Oswego community, the SUNY Oswego alumni network, and global academic and professional partners for advancing the School of Business programs and professional activities.
Program Development and Accreditation
- Visualize the impact of current trends in business and accounting education and develop innovative strategies to effectively position the School of Business for the future.
- Support the development of face-to-face, hybrid and online undergraduate and graduate programs to meet the educational needs and maintain/increase external program reputation.
- Lead initiatives related to AACSB parameters including curriculum development and assessment, assurance of learning, and faculty composition, development, and diversity.
- Collaborate across departments for interdisciplinary program development and sharing of program resources.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Commits to diversity, equity and inclusion demonstrated by successful initiatives and programming that advance campus culture and climate with respect to these core values.
- Value intercultural engagement, open-mindedness and multiple ways of knowing, thinking and learning.
General Administrative Skills
- Develop, recommend and monitor budgets for school area programs and services.
- Manage and develop the dean's staff in both leadership and administrative positions.
- Construct and maintain a facilities planning document for managing program growth and development.
- Exhibit the highest level of personal and professional conduct.
- Earn the confidence of other staff and students through behaviors that reflect the school's values including fairness, kindness, truthfulness, reliability, and professionalism.
- An advanced degree in business or related field
- Senior management experience in leading strategic initiatives, budget management and the development of professional and administrative staff in a School of Business or a business organization
- Doctoral degree in business or related field
- Experience as chair/assistant dean/associate dean/dean
- Experience in leading AACSB site visits, re-accreditation cycles, and developing assessment and assurance of learning mechanisms for continuous improvement
- Prior tenured faculty position at associate or full professor rank
- Demonstrated success in teaching, learning, and student advisement
- Demonstrated success in publishing peer-reviewed academic journal articles
For further information please contact Professor Raihan Khan, Search Committee Chair, at [email protected]
Official transcripts and successful completion of a criminal background check will be required prior to appointment.
Please submit the items listed below electronically by clicking on the APPLY NOW button. Only complete applications will be evaluated.
1.) A letter of interest addressing the qualifications, duties and responsibilities of the job description.
Address how you will support the mission of the SUNY Oswego School of Business: The mission of the School of Business is:
- to prepare students to be knowledgeable, skilled, ethical professionals and leaders
- to produce impactful scholarly research that advances knowledge and contributes to learning and the practice of business and its related disciplines
- to serve as a resource for local, regional, and global communities.
2.) A curriculum vitae
3.) Unofficial transcripts
4.) Names and contact information of five references
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please click here to login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
Please click CONTACT US if you need assistance applying through this website.