PT Academic Support Specialist (Waycross Campus)
Title:PT Academic Support Specialist (Waycross Campus) Department:Academic Support Job Category:Staff Regular/Temporary:Regular Salary:$13 p/h Open Date:07/20/2018 Description:
- Supports college efforts to increase retention and graduation rates.
- Contributes to the college’s effort to increase access to higher education.
- Assists with ongoing efforts to measure and improve program effectiveness.
- Develops and provides programming essential to the success of students.
- Creates promotional materials in print and electronic formats to increase the usage of services offered.
- Identifies and assists in implementing online communication tools to serve the needs of online and distance education students.
- Prepares and maintains utilization reports and documentation.
- Supervises student tutors.
- Assists with other student services functions, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Academic Success.
- Other duties as assign.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral forms
- Knowledge of academic culture, policies, and procedures
- Knowledge of student support services
- Ability to exhibit a positive attitude and to deal with coworkers, students, faculty and staff tactfully and courteously in order to maintain effective service-oriented relationships
- Ability to communicate effectively and follow oral and written instructions
- Excellent customer service skills
Reports to the Director of Academic Support.
Guidelines include college policies and procedures, department policies and Board of Regents policy and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
- The work consists of varied administrative duties and coordination of primary functional areas. Strict regulations contribute to the complexity of the position
- Success in this position contributes to the efficiency, effectiveness, and regulatory compliance of all department operations
- Contacts are typically with students, co-workers, other college personnel and members of the general public
- Contacts are typically to provide services; to give or exchange information; to resolve problems; to motivate or influence persons; or to justify, defend or negotiate matters
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table, or while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, bending or crouching
- The employee occasionally lifts light objects
- The work is typically performed in an office setting
- The Functional Capacity Requirement Form for this position outlines the physical job requirements (attached)
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY:
- Management of student employees in the role of desk assistant and/or tutor is required.
- Completion of an Associate degree
- Two years successful work experience in planning and conducting college student retention or related efforts.