Adjunct Associate Professor- Clinical Nursing
Under the general supervision and direction of the Division Dean of Health Sciences, perform designated duties as a Clinical Nursing Instructor. The primary responsibility is to teach 10 units per semester of clinical nursing courses in the area of medical/surgical nursing. Additional responsibilities may include instruction in the areas of Health Sciences.Responsibilities and Duties
Duties and responsibilities may include, but not limited to the following:
1. Instruct clinical courses in nursing to meet the educational requirements stated in the credit course outline and the Board of Registered Nursing regulations.
2. Assist the Division Dean and/or the Director of Health Sciences in cooperating with campus and community groups to provide programs, courses, and information relevant to the needs of the students and the program.
3. Assist the Division Dean and/or the Director Health Sciences in the preparation of required reports by providing requested information.
4. Participate in the departmental process of curriculum review and modification.
5. Complete various reporting procedures as required for student evaluation, course reporting and budget development.
6. Attend various departmental, divisional, and campus-wide activities as stipulated.
7. Participate in departmental, divisional and campus-wide committees as part of the shared-governance process.
8. Participate in divisional committees as assigned by the Division Dean and/or Director of Health Sciences.
9. Perform other necessary duties which assure the smooth functioning of the Health Sciences Division and Nursing Programs, as assigned by the Division Dean and as outlined in Board Policy.
- Bachelor's in Nursing OR a Bachelor's with an Associate Degree of Nursing.
- Enrolled in a Master's in Nursing or a Master's in Nursing education program with a plan of completion within 2 years of hire date
- Sensitivity to and demonstrated success teaching in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic environment such as a community college.
- Meet the California Board of Registered Nursing requirements.
BOARD OF REGISTERED NURSING REQUIREMENTS
- Possession of a valid, current license as a Registered Nurse in the state of California.
- At least two years of experience within the last five years as a registered nurse providing direct patient care or clinical instruction in the area of medical/surgical nursing.
- At least one academic year of experience teaching nursing courses in pre-or post-licensure registered nursing programs or a course from an accredited college or nursing school which includes: teaching strategies, course outline and lesson plan development, practice teaching and evaluation.
- Meets the California Board of Registered Nursing definition of clinical competency.*
- Clinical experience in mental health, obstetrical or pediatric nursing.
- Expertise in teaching with technology in the classroom.
- Expertise in use of computers for teaching and management of on-line course information.
- Experience in evaluation of clinical performance of health care professionals.
- Demonstrated commitment to student learning and demonstrated commitment to promoting the success of all students in an open-access learning environment.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and ability to motivate and teach community college students of diverse ethnic backgrounds, cultures, preparation, learning styles and/or disabilities.
- Commitment to professional growth and development, to innovation and improvement of teaching, and to assuming faculty responsibilities beyond the classroom in a shared governance environment.
- Expertise in the use of computers for teaching and management of online course information. Familiarity and ability to teach in a distance learning environment.
- Ability to teach in a technologically rich environment.
- Ability to teach in a large lecture format.
- Demonstrated excellence in preparation and knowledge in the subject area.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to work with community groups and schools in order to coordinate the educational program with the needs of the community.
- Completion of a course that includes teaching and learning principles.
* Clinical areas of competency are:
- Medical Surgery
- Mental Health
Copies of transcripts and RN License are required with application.