Senior Systems Administrator
Department:: Information Technology
Locations:: Des Plaines, IL
Posted:: Dec 10, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full Time Staff
About Oakton Community College :
For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Responsible for the day to day operations and system security of the College's Hypervisor (currently VMware), Windows, and Linux systems. Supervises and/or perform the installation and maintenance of network operating systems and server equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains, administers, and coordinates the day-to-day planning, design, operation, maintenance and resource allocation for host systems for the academic and administrative networks. Includes Hypervisor (Currently VMWare), Linux, and Windows.
- Installs system software and operating systems for the college's computing systems.
- Performs system programming tasks to ensure system security and proper operations of servers. Monitors and recommends changes regarding server security.
- Plans and schedules tape backups of all computer systems.
- Recommends equipment purchases and perform physical planning, analysis, and installation of all servers and supporting equipment.
- Prepares reports on system utilization and performance.
- Installs, maintains, and provides user support for internet software and applications.
- Administers and leads technical support for campus-wide e-mail system. Creator of network IDs and addresses.
- Directs the technical analysis of operating system software and hardware. Leads the analysis and makes recommendations for changes to hardware, software, and facilities. Coordinates the acquisition and installation.
- Provides technical training in procedures and the proper use of equipment.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Hiring Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- A Bachelor of Science in computer science or related field or equivalent work experience.
- At least two years experience working with Windows Server, VMware, or Linux operating systems with experience in system administration is required.
- At least two years experience working with TCP/IP protocols.
- Experience with e-mail installation administration.
- Two years experience with directory services.
Functional supervision is received for the Manager of Systems Administration and Operations. Administrative supervision is received from the Director of Systems and Network Services.
Functional supervision is exercised over two full-time computer operators.
HOURS: 8:15 - 5:00 Monday through Friday, but the nature of the work requires periodic evenings, weekends, and workdays when the college is closed to perform systems administration tasks
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.