Executive Director, Environmental Health & Safety
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-04-29
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The Executive Director, Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) provides leadership and direction in the planning, development implementation and protocols of the University's environmental health and safety management program to include radiation control. This position ensures a safe working and study environment for the University community, and safeguards institutional assets and systems throughout the University enterprise.
Core Job Functions
• Oversees, manages, coordinates and maintains EH&S programs, systems and controls to better monitor and report on EH&S issues required by various federal, state and local regulatory agencies. Manages, communicates and maintains appropriate quality control systems to inspect, monitor, and manage all labs and hazardous material storage area, working closely with building manager, project managers, lab personnel, and/or contractors as needed.
• Coordinates with environmental regulatory agencies to assure timely reporting, regulatory compliance, tracking, implementation of corrective action plans regarding conditions of nonconformance/compliance.
• Provides expertise and knowledge university-wide regarding environmental health and safety procedures and technical specifications to develop and implement new procedures and practices when needed.
• Participates in new construction projects and reviews any and all EHS protocols and procedures related to these projects.
• Confers, develops, and maintains close and cooperative communications and working relationships with the Office of Research and Economic Development and other academic and non-academic units.
• Participates as a member of the EHS 24-hour Emergency Response Team and meets all necessary obligations to respond to hazardous material releases or contamination emergencies. Performs essential duties in any emergencies such as; hurricanes, storms, and/or any other university emergency closing.
• Reports to work as needed during university emergency closing with appropriate notification of a department administrator. Reviews research protocols and operational procedures to correct any unsafe lab procedure or hazardous material use, storage, or disposal.
• Prepares the EHS annual budget, including tracking and controlling of all expenditures within assigned budget areas.
• Identifies, evaluates, recommends and implements EHS policies, departmental work procedures and EHS industry best practices.
• Evaluates contracts, leases, MOUs, research proposals, purchase procedures, and similar documents to identify exposures and potential risks as such relate to environmental compliance, health and safety.
• Interacts with deans, directors, department heads and others to ensure compliance with ALL applicable federal and state and local regulations and university safety policies.
• Provides operational compliance oversight in all matters related to workplace safety, accident and injury prevention, occupational health, student and employee wellness, environmental compliance, environmental sustainability, facilities safety, laboratory safety and enforces corrective and actions for non-compliance.
• Participates and/or leads institution-wide committees and work groups tasked with matters related to operational compliance environmental, health and safety, or as otherwise assigned by the university.
• Participates in strategic planning and accreditation aspects of appropriate academic school, colleges, centers, institutes, and departments, as it pertains to environmental, health and safety and infrastructure operations.
Minimum 10 years of relevant experience.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c110