Upward Bound Adjunct Instructor/Workshop Presenter
Please Note: This is an open continuous applicant pool. Submitting an application does not guarantee an interview or employment. Positions will be filled by the department on an as needed basis.
Provides temporary instruction or assistance to Upward Bound participants and/or their parents through workshops, seminars, or courses in topics such as English, mathematics, laboratory science, social science, foreign language, technology, anger management, peer pressure, interview skills, and so on.
Position reports to: Upward Bound Manager.
- Teach and/or present classes and/or workshops in topics such as English, mathematics, laboratory science, social science, foreign language, technology (including the Internet), financial aid, learning styles, study skills, high school and/or college survival, time management, peer pressure, self-esteem, substance abuse, stress management, and so on using interesting, innovative, and age-appropriate methods
- Meet all scheduled workshops
- Assist participants with academic and/or career advice
- Share expertise with participants through speeches and/or demonstrations
- Conduct field trips as appropriate
- Encourage participants to consider and to prepare for higher education
- Keep appropriate records of participant attendance
- Meet with Upward Bound staff members as needed
Appropriate education specific to workshop or class
Bachelor's degree or higher in appropriate discipline required for academic instruction
Demonstrated competency or experience in the specific discipline or subject area(s)
- Demonstrated experience meeting the needs of disadvantaged students
- Ability to communicate with people from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated technology skills as appropriate to subject matter
- Preferred similar background as target population
- Bilingual in English and Spanish desirable