Advanced Practice Nurse
Hyde Park Campus
About the Unit
The Department of Surgery boasts one of the busiest and comprehensive cardiac and thoracic surgery programs in the nation. The Section of Cardiac & Thoracic Surgery offers a wide range of surgical options for patients with challenging diseases. Among our greatest achievements, the section is one of a few in the world that offers a wide range of robotic approaches for heart conditions. The institution is also one of the only multiple organ transplant programs in the nation, successfully transplanting organs for people who need heart-lung, heart-liver, heart-kidney-pancreas, or other multiple organ transplant combinations. Our section is also home to world-renown thoracic surgeons, who are leaders in the surgical treatment of minimally invasive surgery, lung cancer, transplantation and mesothelioma. In addition, our team of scientists are committed to improving our understanding of complex heart and lung diseases and uncovering new ways of tackling these conditions. Among our many focus areas, our researchers are interested in studying the cardiotoxic mechanisms of anticancer drugs and frailty in patients undergoing complex thoracic surgery. This ongoing work and achievement would not be possible without the cohesive effort of the faculty and staff. We are always looking for individuals who are willing to work in our dynamic and collaborative environment toward the shared goal of improving the health of patients in our community and beyond.
This position is part of the Cardiothoracic Surgery Registry Pool. Individuals will provide direct primary health care to patients, in collaboration with consulting physician and the multidisciplinary health team in accordance with privileges approved by the credentials committee, to include identification, management, and/or referral of health problems.
- Responsible for the care of cardiac and thoracic surgery patients, consultative services to the ED, and other clinical services.
- Required to work two to four shifts per month, during evenings and weekends. Typical shifts range from 6 hours to 12 hours.
- Demonstrated clinical competency, effective leadership and teaching skills required.
- Ability to conduct physical examinations and health assessments required.
- Ability to interview and obtain medical information required.
- Willingness to enter into written collaborative agreement with a collaborating physician upon hire required.
- Once licensed and as needed, willingness to apply for a mid-level practitioner controlled substance license and DEA number required.
- Willingness to be privileged and credentialed through UCMC Medical Staff Office prior to start date required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently required.
- Strong organizational skills required.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills and strong analytical skill required.
- Proficiency in the use of computers preferred.
Education, Experience and Certifications:
- Advanced degree (or equivalent, if license received prior to July 1, 2001) from an accredited school/college of nursing required.
- Two or more years of clinical experience in a related area of specialty preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Current advanced practice nurse (APN) license in the State of Illinois or eligibility to receive by start date required.
- Current registered nurse (RN) license in the State of Illinois or eligibility to receive by start date required.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Direct patient contact or clinical care setting.
- Exposure to human blood, human blood components, and/or products made from human blood.
- Exposure to infectious material.
- Exposure to X-Ray Producing Equipment.
- High stress environment.
- Irregular work schedule.
- On-call responsibilities.
- Requires use of personal protective equipment.
- Office environment.
- Sterile/clean room environment.
- Cover Letter
- Reference Contact Information
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Salary Range: $90.00 per hour.
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/