Assistant Professor of Arts Administration
Position Number 998702
Functional Title Assistant Professor of Arts Administration
Position Type Tenure Stream
The Arts Administration Program seeks to fill a new tenure-track Assistant Professor in Arts Administration with an individual who will focus on teaching courses related to art museum studies, building the new Art Museum concentration in the program, and supporting the core Arts Administration curriculum. This position would be the second full-time faculty member in the Arts Administration Program.
UNCG is proud of the diversity of its student body and we seek to attract an equally diverse applicant pool for this position.
• Teaching 3 courses per semester. In the first year, courses are likely to include Introduction to Art Museum Studies (new course), Introduction to Art Museum Collections (new course), AAD/ENT 202 Arts Administration and Entrepreneurship, and AAD 301 Arts Management;
• Working with the Program Director in shaping the long-term development of the Program with respect to curriculum, advising, recruitment, student relations, internship placement, career readiness and job search support, community and cross-campus collaborations, new programs, and more;
• Advise and mentor undergraduate students;
• Conduct research that contributes to the candidate's field of expertise;
• Provide Program, College, University, and professional/community service.
The successful candidate will:
• Have current knowledge of the field of arts administration and art museum management;
• Demonstrate effectiveness in teaching;
• Demonstrate effectiveness in advising students;
• Have experience with and commitment to inclusive teaching and mentoring practices, serving a diverse student body;
• Integrate socially- and community-engaged art practices, current museum management practices, and other innovations into their own classroom and the curriculum of the Program;
• Demonstrate ability to contribute ideas and execute plans relevant to a growing academic department.
• A Master's degree or higher in arts administration/management, museum studies, or related field such as the arts, business, or management.
• Professional experience in an art museum or closely related organization, including managing staff.
• At least one semester as an instructor of record at the university level or other significant teaching experience.
• Five years or more professional experience in an art museum or closely related organization at a senior level.
• At least one year as an instructor of record at the university level.
Tenure Status Tenure Track
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants should submit the following via the online application process.
• Letter of application
• CV/Resume including all academic, teaching, research, and professional experience
• Teaching/research statement speaking directly to this position, minimum 2 pages
• Syllabus of course previously taught by the applicant, preferably in museum studies or museum collections
• Name and contact information for at least three references
Additional materials such as letters of reference, evidence of teaching effectiveness, links to publications, etc. are welcome.
Questions about the position may be directed to Hannah Grannemann, Director of the Arts Administration Program and Search Committee Chair at [email protected]
Recruitment Range $55,000 - 60,000
Org #-Department College of Visual and Performing Arts - 12601
Job Open Date 12/11/2018
For Best Consideration Date 01/08/2019
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment Permanent
Number of Months per Year 9
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Teaching Philosophy
- Other Documents
- Link to Professional Portfolio
- Writing Sample(s)
- Research Statement
- Other Documents 2
- Scholarly Writing
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu