Systems Engineer - IT
Job no: 497249
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: IT-Systems Engineering
Salary: $76,000 - $85,000 commensurate with experience/grade range
Applications Open: Dec 21 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The Systems Engineer is a highly technical staff member in the Systems Engineering group in Information technology. The Systems Engineer is responsible for designing various computer information systems to meet the business needs of UMass Lowell's operations.
The Systems Engineer has a broad view of UMass Lowell's information technology platforms as well as knowledge of the business processes and drivers that impact those technical platforms. As a lead designer on multiple systems, the Systems Engineer is responsible for design, documentation and consulting on implementation of multi-vendor applications platforms.
Under the direction of the Director of Platforms & Systems Engineering, the Systems Engineer is a technically advanced staff member responsible for the adoption and assimilation of both new technologies and integration and optimization of existing investments in information technology. They are integral in the overall services delivered to all internal and external users of UMass Lowell's IT infrastructure.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor's degree required
- A strong commitment to providing excellent customer service and ensuring the success of our customers
- Demonstrated experience with scripting languages such as PowerShell, Python, JSON, or VBScript
- Requires 3-5 years of design experience in a large Information Technology environment
- Architectural and operational mastery of the Windows OS
- The ability to comprehend complex technical issues and rapidly isolate and prioritize likely causation, and develop likely remediation
- Advanced proficiency with Active Directory, including group policies and ADSIEdit
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Demonstrable mastery of core network technologies, including DHCP, DNS and WINS
- Pervious hands-on experience and understanding of VMWare vSphere environments and architecture
- Proficiency with storage networks, including low-level fibre storage network technologies
- Demonstrated mastery of industry best practices relating to secure computing and data security practices
- Advanced understanding of core web technologies such as IIS, HTTP, SFTP, and SSL
- The ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical users
- Experience with enterprise storage platforms
- In-depth understanding of how disparate and multi-vendor systems can interoperate to achieve further information
- Experience with VDI environments such as VMware Horizon strongly preferred
- Experience with desktop image creation and deployment preferred
- Experience with systems automation such as Puppet, Chef, or VMware vRO are strongly preferred
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline preferred
- Industry-recognized certification such as MCITP or VCP strongly preferred
- Thorough understanding of Microsoft Exchange messaging technology, including internet standards such as SMTP, IMAP, POP and MAPI
- Experience with message hygiene products such as anti-spam and anti-virus
- Previous experience with Microsoft SQL server preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process. Candidates are invited to provide a sample of a specification, design, or engineering document they have created.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.