Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Assistant Director of Diversity Programs in the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) is primarily responsible for the coordination, implementation, and assessment of inclusion-related activities for the campus community, with primary emphasis on initiatives related to the recruitment, retention, and success of underrepresented undergraduate students. This position will work collaboratively with the Director of the OMA and the Assistant Director of the Women's Programs to advance the mission of the OMA: to foster a climate of diversity and inclusivity on the WPI campus. This mission is consistent with WPI's strategic plan wherein diversity and inclusion act as a cross-cutting agent to move WPI forward as a world leader in STEM higher education. The Assistant Director of Diversity Programs is a staff member in the Office of Multicultural Affairs and reports directly to the Director of Multicultural Affairs.
- The Assistant Director assists with the administration of the Office of Multicultural Affairs and is responsible for the development, implementation, and assessment of programs and support services specifically for underrepresented students included but not limited to students who are underrepresented minority and of color, first generation college, low-income, transgender, and students from a variety of religious backgrounds, and for all undergraduate student.
- The Assistant Director will assist in the coordination of the Connections Pre-Orientation Summer Program for underrepresented students of color and students from other underrepresented backgrounds. This includes active support in planning and implementing Program Assistant training and the week-long pre-orientation program, hands-on oversight of the summer program while in progress. Additionally, hands-on academic year support for students who successfully completed the Pre-Orientation Program.
- The successful candidate will also provide strategic vision and continual support of programming that addresses issues of concern to students from diverse background in STEM and that helps to raise awareness of issues impacting underrepresented students in STEM, such as lectures, workshops, and professional development seminars.
- The position will be required to develop, coordinate, and implement programming throughout the academic year and summer that can address a wide variety of audiences that focused on spreading awareness of diversity, equity, and inclusion topics.
- The Assistant Director will take the lead on implementation and coordination of campus-wide events and programs in celebration of all Ethnic/Racial group heritage months.
- Support the Director's efforts tied to the ALANA Support Network.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other campus offices and departments to ensure high quality services for students.
- The Assistant Director serves as a staff liaison or an advisor to student organizations supporting underrepresented students, and will provide significant support and leadership. Those groups include, but are not limited to: National Society of Black Engineers, Society for Hispanic and Professional Engineers, and the Black Students Union.
- The Assistant Director also coordinates all logistical components and chaperones travel to assigned national and local student leadership conferences.
- Serve on campus-wide committees that advocate for diverse populations to foster an inclusive campus community.
- Assist in the hiring, training, and supervising of student staff as needed, including providing specific supervision to the Diversity Program's Undergraduate Student Intern.
- Under the leadership of the director, and in coordination with campus wide assessment teams, conduct regular program assessments to determine the effectiveness of programs and align the learning outcomes with student needs.
- Review academic progress of diverse students, with focus on the Connections Program participants. Based on assessment of student needs, set annual goals and work with Academic Advising and Student Affairs to develop programs and services aimed at enhancing student success.
- In collaboration with the director, develop and disseminate annual report reviewing key initiatives, effectiveness, recommendations and future objectives as they relate to the support of diverse student populations at WPI.
- Maintain and update departmental databases and share drives.
- A bachelor's degree in STEM, Women's studies, cultural studies, sociology, anthropology or other related field.
- At least 1 year of full-time employment in higher education is required (employment while enrolled full-time or part time as an undergraduate or graduate student does not count).
- A Master's degree in higher education, student affairs, counseling, advising, teaching, or other related field is preferred.
- Competitive candidates must be able to demonstrate success in developing and delivering educational programming with and for diverse audiences in higher education.
- Competitive candidates will also possess demonstrated attention to detail and the ability to follow a project through to completion.
- Competitive candidates will have demonstrated capacities in equity, inclusion, diversity, and/or equal opportunity.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills and be able to present effectively in public settings to a variety of audiences.
- Work independently and have the ability to exercise discretion and independent judgement when faced with changes in process or potential road blocks to the completion of a project.
- Have experience in developing constructive working relationships with people from different cultural backgrounds, including those associated with race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, and/or other aspects of human diversity.
- Candidates will also possess exceptional time management skills and an ability to complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to work within a fast-paced environment and react well under pressure, manage competing demands, and adapt well to changing circumstances quickly.
- Must show resourcefulness and work proactively.
- Possess an ability to effectively establish and maintain working relationships with peers and constituents at all levels of the university.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with students, faculty, and staff as well as external partners.
- Must be willing to work many nights and weekend and submit to a pre-employment criminal records check (required).
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Assistant-Director_R0000191
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency