Assistant Director of Residence Life
Assistant Director of Residence Life
Bridgewater College is seeking an Assistant Director of Residence Life. This is a full-time (12-month) live-in position.
- Area management responsibilities:
- Manage two or more residential areas with up to 400 residential students
- Supervise paraprofessional Resident Advisors/Senior Resident Advisors
- Develop educational strategies and lesson plans within the Student Life curriculum for assigned residential areas
- Advise hall government
- Adjudicate student conduct cases
- Training and Development Responsibilities:
- Provide primary oversight for residence life training and development.
- Coordinate a comprehensive and holistic training and development program for all residence life staff including August training, monthly in-services and January training.
- Collaborate with campus professionals to identify and implement best practices in residence life staff training and development.
- Other responsibilities:
- Participate in campus duty rotation
- Assist with divisional and campus wide events including, but not limited to, Family Weekend, Homecoming, Commencement, student and professional staff selection, etc.
- Representing Residence Life on designated committees as assigned
- Assist the Director in the development of goals, vision, policies, and procedures for Residence Life
- Act in place of the Director of Residence Life when the Director is not available
- Master’s Degree in Student Affairs, Higher Education, or closely related field is required.
- Experience in Student Affairs is required.Experience in Residence Life is strongly preferred.
- Experience with supervision of student staff is required.Previous experience supervising professional staff is strongly preferred.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.Must be committed to providing the highest level of customer service and responsiveness.Must display diplomacy and tact in all communication.
- Ability to independently manage a variety of projects with frequent interruptions and shifting priorities.
- Ability to make decisions independently, outstanding organizational skills, excellent judgment, and a high level of self-motivation and accountability.
- Must exhibit flexibility, adaptability, and willingness to contribute to the successful achievement of personal, unit and department goals.
- Commitment to working with and supporting students from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience working with StarRez (or similar system) and Ellucian software strongly preferred.
GENERAL INFORMATION: Bridgewater College, an independent private liberal arts college, was founded in 1880 as the first coeducational college in Virginia and has an educational philosophy of developing the whole person and equipping students to become leaders with a strong sense of personal accountability and civic responsibility. The College has an enrollment of more than 1750 students representing 30 states and eight countries. The College is a member of NCAA Division III and the Old Dominion Athletic Conference. The College sponsors 22 intercollegiate athletic teams and an equestrian team that competes in the IHSA. Bridgewater College offers 63 majors and minors, 11 Concentrations/Specializations, Pre-professional Programs, Dual Degree Programs as well as Teacher Education and Certification.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONTACT: Suzanne Mullins, Director of Residential and Community Life at [email protected].
APPLICATION: Please complete the online application at www.bridgewater.edu/careers. Include (upload) a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information (email and mobile phone) for three references.
DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately. Position is open until filled.
Bridgewater College is an equal opportunity provider, committed to employing a diverse faculty and staff, and actively seeks applications from women, minorities, and other persons from traditionally under-represented groups.