Director & Advanced Associate Professor OR Professor
Florida Atlantic University’s The Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters is seeking a Director & Advanced Associate Professor OR Professor, Boca Raton, FL.
The Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters at Florida Atlantic University seeks an experienced, innovative, and visionary leader to serve as the twelve-month Director of the School of Communication and Multimedia Studies (SCMS) beginning summer 2019.
The Director will lead accomplished faculty and staff who deliver three transdisciplinary undergraduate degree programs and two graduate degree programs (MA and MFA), while also participating in the interdisciplinary PhD program of the Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters. SCMS currently includes BA’s in Communication, Multimedia Studies, and Multimedia Journalism, an MA in Communication, and an MFA that includes film, video, interactive media, and computer animation. The Director oversees the development and implementation of the School’s vision and strategic plan as it articulates with the University’s plan. More information on the School and the position can be found on our website. Additional information on the College of Arts and Letters is also available. FAU serves a culturally and ethnically diverse seven-county region in Southeast Florida (Broward, Indian River, Martin, Okeechobee, Palm Beach, Miami-Dade, and St. Lucie counties) whose total population is more than six million people. FAU has recently been named a Hispanic-serving institution.
The Director will have a strong scholarly background, as well as substantial administrative or leadership experience, preferably in a multidisciplinary Communication School/College/Department like FAU’s. The Director will also be attuned to the changing landscape of the disciplines in Communication and Multimedia Studies with an eye toward future opportunities to establish unique, attractive programs to meet demand in our large, vibrant, diverse, metropolitan South Florida region. The Director will work toward raising the national profile of the School, pursue fundraising opportunities, develop a stronger alumni network, create new opportunities, and provide support for a large contingent of faculty and students. The Director will do the above in the context of FAU’s stated goal of breaking into the Top 100 public university rankings by 2025.
Summary of Responsibilities include:
- Maintaining existing and developing additional meaningful internal and external partnerships, co-ops, and internships with media and communication entities throughout the region.
- Fundraising to support the School, its faculty, staff, and students.
- Overseeing the internal and external communications that promote and develop the School, its faculty and its students.
- Participating as a member of the Dean’s senior leadership team.
- Working collaboratively with academic leaders throughout the University.
- Overseeing successful mentorship programs to ensure timely promotion and advancement of School faculty.
- Continuing and enhancing the School’s excellent record of teaching, research and service.
- Managing School budgets, advocating for School resources, maintaining and developing state-of-the-art production facilities, allocating space, equipment and technology needs.
- Managing School enrollment while expanding opportunities for growth on our main campus and partner campuses.
- Leading the continual review, assessment, and renewal of all academic programs in the context of performance funding and accountability metrics.
- Overseeing personnel matters of full-time and part-time faculty and staff, including other faculty administrators in the School, and graduate teaching assistants.
A Terminal degree (PhD or MFA) in an appropriate area of specialization from an accredited institution by the time of application is required.
Must be an Advanced Associate or full Professor.
Significant leadership experience and a record of success required.
Must possess the commitment to fundraising and creating strategic alliances with industry and artistic communities.
Experience promoting diversity and inclusion required.
Must have exceptional communication skills.
Attentiveness to current trends and best practices in one or more of the School’s disciplines and in modern higher education required.
All applicants must apply electronically to the currently posted position Director & Advanced Associate Professor OR Professor on the Office of Human Resources' job website (https://fau.edu/jobs) by completing the required online employment application and submitting the related documents. When completing the online application, please upload the following: a cover letter of intent which includes a vision statement for the School, an academic curriculum vitae, and copies of official transcripts scanned into an electronic format and contact information for three references.
A background check will be required for the candidate selected for this position. This position is subject to funding.
For more information and to apply, visit www.fau.edu/jobs and go to Apply Now REQ05386.
Florida Atlantic University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action/equal access institution and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status or other protected status. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711.
FAU is committed to the principles of engaged teaching, research and service. All persons aspiring to achieve excellence in the practice of these principles are encouraged to apply.