Dean of the College of Education
The University of Kentucky (UK) invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the College of Education. The College of Education endeavors to expand the knowledge of teaching and learning processes across a broad educational spectrum. The College is committed to studying and helping to solve the most critical education and health challenges of our time. The College serves nearly 3,000 students in over 70 undergraduate and graduate programs within the following departments: Curriculum and Instruction; Early Childhood, Special Education and Rehabilitation Counseling; Educational Leadership Studies; Educational Policy Studies and Evaluation; Educational, School and Counseling Psychology; Kinesiology and Health Promotion; and STEM Education.
The Dean of the College of Education is the chief academic, administrative officer, and spokesperson for the College. Reporting directly to the Provost, the Dean provides strong leadership and strategic direction for the academic departments, programs and initiatives within a complex fiscal environment.
The successful candidate will be an experienced, entrepreneurial, creative and collaborative leader with a deep appreciation for the scholarly and practical importance of education. The Dean will be committed to efforts to develop and promote innovation for learning across the life span and to recruit, retain, and lead a strong community of students, faculty, and staff to achieve this goal. The Dean will have an earned doctorate from an accredited institution with a distinguished academic record appropriate for appointment at the rank of Professor with tenure in one of the academic disciplines within the College of Education.
Application materials should include a CV, a letter of interest, and contact information for at least five individuals (upload under Specific Request 1). Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to March 11, 2019.
The Parker Executive Search Firm has been selected to recruit for this position. To be considered, you must complete the UK application and contact Laurie Wilder, Porsha Williams, or Erin Raines at 770-804-1996 ext.: 117 or via email at [email protected]
Dean of the College of Education
Type of Position
Position Time Status
PhD in an education field
Required Related Experience
Academic credentials and record of scholarly achievement that merit the rank of a Professor with tenure in one of the academic disciplines within the College of Education
Required License/ Registration/Certification
• Possess an innovative, open-minded and transformational set of ideas and leadership skills to enhance the College profile amongst the changing landscape in the field of education
• Ability to develop collaborations and foster external partnerships with the public K-12 schools; local community, state legislature and other constituency groups
• A strong advocate in a challenging public fiscal environment to secure resources necessary for the growth and improvement of the College
• Experience and appreciation for a number of learning environments to include online and distance education programs
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
• A record of successful academic administrative leadership that demonstrates strong evidence of his/her capacity to manage the College
• Ability to develop and fulfill the College's land-grant mission through building a shared collaborative vision
• A strong record of research and scholarship with the stature and ability to cultivate and extend the College's research agenda
• Demonstrated commitment to advancing the quality of undergraduate and graduate education
• Demonstrated experience cultivating and garnering support from individual donors, foundations and corporations
Open Untill Filled
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's Online Employment System?
- Parker Executive Search Firm
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- Academic Keys
- Latinos in Higher Education
- A colleague, friend, and/or family member
- None of the above
- Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- Specific Request 1