The College of Agriculture, Food, and Environment department of Plant Pathology seeks a Greenhouse Manager. The Greenhouse Manager will manage greenhouses and associated plant growth facilities. The role performs all daily greenhouse activities for multiple faculty research programs. Duties include seeding, watering, fertilizing, propagating, and disposal/harvesting of plant material, and ensuring cleanliness of the facility. Consult with, and communicate repair needs to, the Greenhouse Superintendent to ensure that the greenhouse plant growth chambers and associated facilities are maintained in working order. Establish routine protocols and set growth conditions to maintain the diverse collection of plant species for use by the department in research and instruction. Advise faculty, students and staff regarding greenhouse expenditures. Provide counsel to departmental research teams related to plant care. Maintain all records of planting procedures and plant care for all crop and non-crop plants under investigation. Obtain and maintain relevant certifications and conduct applications of pesticides and fertilizers as needed, using best practices. Ensure that Federal (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) regulations are met regarding transgenic plants that are grown in the greenhouse or growth chambers, including proper containment and sterilization for disposal, and keeping up-to-date activity logs and plant inventory lists. Miscellaneous related duties to be performed as needs arise.
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Click here for more information about equivalencies:
Required Related Experience
No experience required.
Required License/ Registration/Certification
Lifting, pushing, and pulling of objects up to 25 lbs. Working while standing for long periods of time, sometimes in hot and humid conditions.
Primarily daytime; early mornings, evenings and weekends as needed. (37.5 hours/week)
Computer skills for Microsoft Word and Excel, and an internet browser for keeping records, inventories and plant care protocols.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The essential functions of this position will require you to work at various height levels and work in extreme temperature conditions (i.e. boiler room, steam pits, outdoor weather, etc.). Can you meet this requirement with or without reasonable accommodations?
- * This position will require use of a flexible schedule including some early mornings, late evenings and weekends. Are you able to abide by this requirement?
- * Do you have computer skills (i.e. word processing, excel, powerpoint, data base creation/maintenance, etc.)?
- * Do you have or will you be able to obtain a Pesticide Applicators License?
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's online employment system?
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the Above
- Cover Letter