Associate Director for Outreach
Whatcom Community College invites applications for the Associate Director for Outreach position. The Associate Director for Outreach is responsible for program planning and oversight, budget management, and implementation of K-12 outreach and early retention efforts for the College. This position establishes and advances relationships and collaboration with high school counselors, community partners, universities, campus staff, students, and faculty, and provides departmental support for K-12 Partnerships. Reporting to the Director for K-12 Partnerships, the Associate Director for Outreach is responsible for assisting in the coordination of local and regional K-12 partners (including high school administrators, registrars, and counselors) and key College stakeholders to develop and integrate K-12 strategies and practices and to build a welcoming and inclusive campus community.
Include but are not limited to:
- Oversee the outreach budget and allocation of resources, approve and track expenditures, and provide annual recommendations for budget adjustments.
- Assist and support college-wide strategies to welcome new students to the campus, including Whatcom Wave new student orientation, prospective and new student workshops, first-day information tables, new student advising, and group tours.
- Develop and implement early retention strategies that facilitate student transition to the College and support strategic enrollment growth and management.
- Train, supervise, and evaluate employees in accordance with applicable state and federal laws, and WCC policies and procedures. Lead and supervise staff to meet performance goals and foster high quality customer service coupled with competing demands.
- Serve as primary contact for local high school counselors and College faculty and staff regarding general college admission information, requirements for the college selective admission programs, and testing in the local high schools. Coordinate annual high school counselor meetings.
- Collaborate with the College public relations, institutional advancement personnel and other staff in the creation of an outreach recruitment plan. Assist with the development of College publications to promote WCC's programs and services.
- Develop and produce inclusive college publications, training, and promotional materials for students that meaningfully convey policies, procedures, guidelines and resources in multiple delivery modalities.
- Travel to and represent the college at local and regional high schools, college fairs, information nights, and community events during the day, evenings, and weekends.
- Coordinate and promote campus events for prospective students, including customized outreach to specific student populations. Host groups of prospective students and chaperones as requested.
- Provide quality, culturally responsive customer service and rapport building through e-mail or phone conversations with students. Serve as a welcoming, friendly contact for all prospective and new students, as well as parents, WCC employees, and community members.
- Perform other duties as assigned and/or delegated by the Director for K-12 Partnerships.
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in education, communications, marketing, or related field.
- Experience working in outreach, new student services, advising and/or recruitment in an educational setting.
- Master's degree or equivalent in student affairs administration, education, communications, marketing, or related field.
- Candidates must exhibit competency and experience working in a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, gender/sexuality, and ethnic backgrounds and identities.
- Ability to use a personal computer, Microsoft Office products and database programs.
- Excellent verbal, listening, writing, problem-solving and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability and experience teaching and facilitating dynamic, interactive, and innovative workshops and presentations.
Salary and Appointment:
- This is a 12-month, full-time appointment, exempt from Washington State civil service law, with an annual salary of $51,000-$58,000, DOE.
- The position comes with a full benefit package, including health, dental, life, long term disability insurance and a retirement plan.
- As soon as can be arranged with successful candidate.
Application Due Date:
- For guaranteed consideration, application packets should be received by January 7th, 2019 at 4:59 pm. Position open until filled.
To apply please visit us at: