Reading/Writing Center: Visiting Faculty Tutor
Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois, invites applications for a full-time, one-year Visiting Faculty Tutor position in the Reading/Writing Center for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Augustana College is a selective liberal arts college of approximately 2,500 students, most of whom live on a wooded 115-acre campus. Rock Island, Illinois, is part of the Illinois-Iowa Quad Cities along the Mississippi River, a diverse metropolitan area with 400,000 residents, located about three hours west of Chicago and 45 minutes east of Iowa City, home of the University of Iowa.
The Reading/Writing Center (RWC) is part of Augustana’s Learning Commons, a comprehensive center for student academic support. Staffed by a director, an ELL specialist, and 25 undergraduate peer tutors, the Reading/Writing Center assists all Augustana students with reading and writing for any class and beyond.
The Visiting Faculty Tutor will provide reading/writing consultations to students, teach first-year writing, and help manage daily operations of the Reading/Writing Center. This 10-month professional faculty position emphasizes a commitment to undergraduate teaching and mentoring roles of a faculty member in a liberal arts setting.
- Provide individualized tutoring sessions in college-level academic reading and writing to students. Determine needs and provide assistance for a diverse student body.
- Assist with training and supervising RWC peer tutors. Provide feedback both positive and constructive to tutors to assist in their development.
- Assist in implementing and revising RWC policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with other Learning Commons staff; with faculty and administrators; and with offices such as International Student Life, Student Inclusion and Diversity, CORE (Careers, Opportunities, Research, Exploration), Athletics, the Library, and Residential Life to best assist students.
- Teach one first-year writing course per semester.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required education: Master’s degree, preferably in one of the following fields: English, Writing, Reading, Composition & Rhetoric, or Education.
The successful candidate will demonstrate
- Writing center experience;
- Classroom teaching experience;
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; and
- The ability to work effectively and collaboratively with students, faculty, and administrators.
Candidates from underrepresented minority groups are encouraged to apply.
Questions may be directed to the director of the Reading/Writing Center, Lucas A. Street, at [email protected]
To apply, please email application materials to [email protected] using the subject line: Search #110-19 Reading/Writing Center, and directed to Dr. Wendy Hilton-Morrow. Alternatively application materials can be mailed to: Search #110-19 Reading/Writing Center, C/O Dr. Wendy Hilton-Morrow, Provost & Dean of the college, Augustana College, 639 – 38th St., Rock Island, IL, 61201.
A complete application includes a letter of application (this letter should address the applicant’s philosophy of teaching/tutoring), curriculum vitae, copy of graduate transcripts, evidence of tutoring effectiveness (if available), scholarly writing sample, and contact information for three professional references.
Review of applications will begin February 15, 2019.
Apply for Reading/Writing Center: Visiting Faculty Tutor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly