Antelope Valley College
(Full time, 12 months)
Salary: Range 23, $5,011.41/mo. + benefits
DEADLINE EXTENDED: January 18, 2019
AVC CAMPUS WILL BE CLOSED FROM DECEMBER 22, 2018 THRU JANUARY 1, 2019.
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT APPLICATIONS DURING CAMPUS CLOSER.
Complete job description and application available online at: https://www.avc.edu/administration/hr/employment
Under the general direction of the Executive Director of Business Services & Fiscal Services Manager, performs advanced level accounting including technical and complex calculations, research, process development and training typically in an assigned area of concentration. The role requires frequent collaboration with multiple district employees in varied departments for the mutual effort of advancing college purposes through the stewardship of resources. The level of expertise and breadth of responsibility is such that providing guidance and training to cohorts is a routine part of the workweek. Requires exceptional organization and communication skills as well as knowledge of established accounting principles to a wide variety of fiscal issues.
• Records, maintains & inspects financial transactions in the college’s accounting system typical to the role of an accountant.
• Interprets guidelines & ensures the accounting and use of resources are in compliance with GAAP, GASB, OMB circulars & requirements as set forth from governing authorities and administering agencies.
• Reviews supporting documents to ensure completeness, accuracy, and proper authorization is obtained.
• Performs and analyzes moderate to advanced technical calculations & reconciliations, identifying cause of discrepancies and corrective measures.
• Assists in the development of revisions to accounting systems, procedures and forms to ensure efficient and effective workflow
• Serves as liaison to district employees, including managers & directors on accounting, budgeting, and compliance matters.
• In consultation with managers & directors, drafts program budgets that ensure good stewardship of funds granted to the District from a variety of sources, while adhering to governing policies, restrictions and timelines.
• Supports managers & directors across the District by both preparing standard and non-standard reports, including financial information that spans over multiple years for numerous programs.
• Assists in the development of streamlined procedures to facilitate the distribution of financial information between the District’s business office and departments.
• Assists in the development and implementation of tracking methods for district match requirements
• Conducts expenditure analysis and audits to ensure full reimbursement of district’s costs in association with special funding
• Initiates draw down of federal and state monies due to the District
• Performs other related responsibilities as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field with four years of increasingly responsible accounting experience in maintenance and reporting of financial information.
• Accounting, budgeting and auditing principals and practices
• Financial and statistical record-keeping techniques
• Preparation of varied and comprehensive accounting reports
• Applicable sections of State Education Code and other applicable laws.
• Modern office practices, procedures and equipment
• Operation of a computer and applicable software.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Oral and written communication and presentation skills.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
• Maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others, demonstrating sensitivity and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, cultural, disability, religious background and sexual orientation of community college staff and students.
• Plan and organize work, making independent analysis & corrective action
• Lead to achieve desired outcomes
• Meet schedules and timelines
• Operate a variety of office equipment such a computer, calculator, typewriter, microfiche viewer and copier.
WORK DIRECTION, LEAD AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Provides direction and support as it relates to accounting. No permanent full-time staff to supervise.
Administrators, department chairs and deans, students, vendors, government agencies, and co-workers.
Requires the ability to exert some physical effort, such as walking, standing and light lifting; minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs and body in the operation of office equipment. Tasks require extended periods of time at a keyboard.
Normal office environment.
For a complete listing and details of all open positions and how to apply, select the HR & Employment link on the AVC Web site at https://www.avc.edu/administration/hr/employment or contact the Human Resources Office at (661) 722-6311; Voice/Relay, (661) 722-6300 x. 6360, 3041 West Avenue K, Lancaster, CA 93536.