Cashier - 50%
Antelope Valley College
Cashier - 50%
PT, 20 hours wk/12 months
(Business Services/Cashiers Office)
Salary: Range 9, $1,513.65/mo.
Deadline: January 16, 2018
Complete job description and application available online at: https://www.avc.edu/administration/hr/employment
AVC CAMPUS WILL BE CLOSED FROM DECEMBER 22, 2018 THRU JANUARY 1, 2019. PLEASE
DO NOT SUBMIT APPLICATIONS DURING CAMPUS CLOSER.
Under the direction of the Manager, Fiscal Services, receive, classify, total, balance, receipt and post monies to the appropriate district accounts, interact with students regarding fees and perform a variety of clerical and related duties.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: E = indicates essential duties of the position
• Perform high volume cashiering and other duties associated with student payments of cash, checks, and credit cards and prepare balancing reports as required. E
• Access student records using a computer terminal; receive monies and enter appropriate data; clear holds on student transcripts. E
• Perform audit and reconciliation of discrepancies in student accounts. E
• Distribute or mail financial aid checks, bills and parking passes. E
• Provide information and assistance in person and on the telephone. E
• File records and documents related to work performed. E
• Assist other personnel in the preparation and maintenance of procedures. E
• Train and provide work direction and guidance to temporary hourly cashiers as needed. E
• Maintain a variety of files, records and calendars related to assigned activities; maintain office supplies inventory; type a variety of forms and records and perform general clerical duties as needed. E
• Communicate effectively in person and on the phone to establish and maintain effective working relationships with persons contacted in the course of performing assigned duties. E
• Perform related duties as assigned. E
• Basic bookkeeping methods and practices.
• Rules, regulations and policies governing the safe handling of cash.
• Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
• Handle all information following District privacy and confidentiality policies.
• Demonstrate currency of knowledge with computers and other forms of technology utilized in providing high quality services.
• Manage time effectively and handle workload in an accurate and efficient manner.
• Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
• Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
• Apply knowledge of modern office machines and equipment including adding machine, fax and copy machine and computer.
Type with speed and accuracy, make quick and accurate mathematical calculations, verify, balance and adjust student accounts.
Utilize a variety of computer software, including word processing, spreadsheet, database and other business-related software, specifically Microsoft Excel and Word.
• Advise and interact effectively with students and staff.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and two years of responsible clerical accounting experience including at least one year of cashiering experience.
WORK DIRECTION, LEAD AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Not applicable – no permanent full-time staff to supervise. May train and direct hourly cashiers.
CONTACTS: Students, other departmental personnel, and the general public.
Constant interruptions and frequent interaction with students, staff and the public.
Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
Light lifting of materials.
Reaching to file and retrieve records.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and cash register.
For a complete listing and details of all open positions and how to apply, select the HR & Employment link on the AVC Web site at https://www.avc.edu/administration/hr/employment or contact the Human Resources Office at (661) 722-6311; Voice/Relay, (661) 722-6300 x. 6360, 3041 West Avenue K, Lancaster, CA 93536.