Research Data Manager
Research Data Manager
Note: This job announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventor of all duties and responsibilities required or assigned to an employee in this position
The Research Data Manager works collaboratively to understand, develop, and support the institution's reporting, data, and analytical needs. This person will have experience working with institutional data and institutional research including interpretation and presentation of data. Reporting to the Director of Institutional Research, the Research Data Manager will write SQL queries, develop reports, and conduct analyses providing accurate, useful, and readily accessible data; develop and implement policies and best practices for strategic data planning, data analysis & modeling, and data element use. The candidate should be able to apply data sampling and weighting techniques, as well as be responsible for data quality and data integrity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the department administrator to update and maintain the department’s data warehouse.
- Designs data warehouse additions and changes to support immediate and predicted departmental needs.
- Responds to requests for surveys, data, and information received from outside organizations, including federal, state, and accrediting agencies.
- Provides analytical and technical support to departments, committees, faculty, staff, and administrators for institutional data and respond to requests for institutional data from external sources.
- Designs, updates, and maintains an online, digital Fact Book supporting ad-hoc query functionality.
- Produces SQL scripts and similar coding to support data warehouse, ad hoc, and research requests.
- Assists in defining rules and metrics for reporting requirements within IR and in collaboration with other offices.
- Produces and publishes in conjunction with office staff routine or specialized Institutional Research reports tailored to specific audiences.
- Provides technical assistance to the college in research, data analysis, survey design, and data management.
- Manages projects, assignments, and priorities simultaneously.
- Works directly with the Banner Team to identify and resolve data governance and quality issues and facilitate project completion.
- Performs data quality assurance by ensuring accuracy, consistency, and reliability.
- Provides recommendations, information and/or data for decision-making, planning, and institutional effectiveness.
- Trains staff on new office technology.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Educational Research, Social Sciences, Economics, Mathematics, or a closely related field with academic preparation in intermediate/advance statistics or mathematics with a minimum of three (3) years of experience in higher education required. Knowledge of Access, Excel, SQL query language, and Oracle databases required. Experience with Ellucian Banner, SAS or SPSS, Cognos and/or Tableau, preferred.
Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills. The ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences is required. Must have experience in data collection and analysis and have the ability to analyze complex concepts and solve complex problems efficiently; prepare short-term and long-term strategies for planning purposes, and demonstrate the use of technology in managing and/or delivering educational programs.
The Research Data Manager will use statistical procedures and principles; have knowledge of accepted methods of gathering and analyzing research data; be familiar with relational database concepts; perform basic statistical analysis using appropriate software and statistical methods (significance testing, regression analysis, ANOVA, etc.; and present data in various media (e.g. paper, electronic, web-based)). Experience in testing and debugging IT systems preferred.
The ideal candidate for this position should be highly motivated, be able to work as a contributing team member; be an independent thinker, and possess excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Incumbent must have demonstrated organizational and time management skills. This position is responsible for producing an electronic, online Fact Book and executive decision-support system, as well as a repository of departmentally authored reports and studies. The Research Data Manager serves as an expert/liaison to Spelman Technology Services (STS) and the campus in a larger data warehouse project.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have advanced skills using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint). Duties include preparation of spreadsheets, tables, pivot tables, and graphs. This position requires knowledge of PL/SQL and supporting applications, such as PL/SQL Developer, Oracle Enterprise Manager, Crystal Enterprise, and Oracle Warehouse Builder.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Oracle Database certification highly desirable (DBO, OCA)
Qualified individuals are encouraged to visit our website and apply via our online application: www.spelman.edu. Please submit a cover letter with your submission. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package and a campus environment filled with unique opportunities and experiences.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Spelman College is an EOE/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Title IX Employer and we participate in E-Verify.