Counselor, Social Science and Distance Education
Counselor, Social Science and Distance Education
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 2/5/2019
The School of Social Science and the Distance Education Program at West Valley College are seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Counselor, Social Science and Distance Education. The counselor will work in collaboration with the various academic programs, student services programs, and campus-wide committees in the implementation, coordination, and overall operation of all aspects of counseling-related functions for the college. Reporting directly to the Dean of Social Science, the counseling responsibilities include providing academic, career, and personal counseling, and possible teaching.
West Valley College, though just minutes from the heart of Silicon Valley, is in a beautiful park like setting on 143 wooded acres. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate the college for its friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
West Valley College, a Bay Area leader in transfer, degree, and career programs, is searching for a counselor to be part of the leadership teams in the School of Social Science and the Distance Education Programs. With this new counseling position, the college endeavors to build on the strengths of our committed faculty, outstanding campus outreach to our communities we serve, and strong academic reputation, to establish the premier School of Social Science and the premier Distance Education Program. It is expected that this individual take the lead, be an advocate for best practices in counseling and work with all constituents in the Social Science and the Distance Education programs.
Pursuant to our Educational and Facilities Master Plan, the college is committed to serving our diverse student body at all points along their academic journey, with a comprehensive curriculum and counseling experience designed to engage and inspire. The counselor will work with the Anthropology, Economics, Geography, History, Humanities, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology and the college-wide Distance Education programs to build a sense of community and belonging for students, faculty, staff and administration.
In addition to counseling, this counselor is also expected to participate in the professional and academic work of the college. Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, abilities and life experiences to address the educational needs of a diverse student body through the looking glass of equity and inclusiveness are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, 11 month tenure track position that begins in August 2019. The assignment consists of counseling and teaching. Some evening and weekend work may be required. This position is represented by the West Valley-Mission Federation of Teachers (WVMFT / AFT Local 6554).
Work location: Division of Social Science, West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $64,631 to $100,582 annually; placement is based upon verified academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Employer-provided life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 11 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated.
1. Education - Possess one of the following:
- Master’s in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy or marriage, family and child counseling; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the above listed degrees AND a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT); OR
- A valid California Community College Instructor’s Credential in Counseling; OR
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Counseling duties and responsibilities may consist of one or more of the following:
- Counsel and advise students, on both an appointment and a drop-in basis.
- Perform specialized work duties as necessary during registration periods.
- Provide formal in-service training.
- Participate in program/service development activities.
- Coordinate efforts of counseling faculty to complete Program Review and participate in the process of SLO assessment and evaluation and use the results of these assessments in the process of continuously improving student learning.
- Perform other duties as required for the department and/or college.
- Counselors may also be assigned to teach one or more counseling courses during a semester.
- Counselors have the option of teaching outside their primary area on an overload basis.
- Assume institutional responsibilities, essential to the ongoing operation and effective achievement of department, division, college and district programs.
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741-2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency