Executive Director of Academic Advising
The University of Southern California’s Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences is seeking to hire an Executive Director of Academic Advising to help advance the university’s efforts to ensure students’ success as scholars and pursuit of meaningful post-graduate studies and careers. The Executive Director will lead a staff of approximately 35-40 professional advising leaders on campus and develop a team who support students with diverse academic interests, abilities, as well as cultural, socioeconomic, and educational backgrounds. This newly-funded position will assume overall responsibility for the USC Dornsife academic advising program, and serve as the primary communicator and administrator for the Dornsife academic advising vision and mission.
USC Dornsife is in the midst of an ambitious project to plan for a new undergraduate experience comprised of a faculty-led effort to define the structure and content of a world-class liberal arts education for the 2020’s. This will also include efforts to develop an academic advising experience to complement the curriculum and undergraduate student experience.
Key responsibilities for the Executive Director will be:
- Providing leadership to ensure the development, implementation and evaluation of a student-centered/developmental “next generation” advising model especially tailored towards students of the liberal arts.
- Collaboratively developing new models of academic advising that balance intellectual exploration, disciplinary specialization, career preparation, and critical reflective activity.
- Supporting, developing, measuring, and sustaining key retention efforts.
- Creating communication initiatives and strategies for USC Dornsife academic advisors, capable of connecting academic departments and student services units throughout the university.
- Assisting with the development of core competencies for all academic advisors that support the common academic advising vision and mission of the institution.
- Developing and maintaining consistent training and professional development for USC Dornsife academic advisors, fostering talent and encouraging career growth.
- Partnering with colleagues and directors to create and monitor metrics related to the success of academic advising within USC Dornsife.
- Supporting diversity, inclusion and access for all Dornsife students, and fostering a culture of academic support and success in all its forms.
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution; Doctoral degree preferred.
- Five years of experience in higher education academic, career advising, or counseling, working with a range of undergraduate students from first-year students, exploring students, and students with declared majors.
- Leadership experience in an advising or academic support unit (or comparable setting) including hiring, supervising and training.
Professional Competencies should include:
- Demonstrated experience with and/or commitment to working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds, in support of an inclusive and welcoming environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Experience working collaboratively with faculty and staff, including consideration of curricular design and academic policies and procedures.
- Experience with models of integrated academic and career advising. Familiarity with the use of current technology in advising.
- Ability to work collaboratively and creatively to solve problems.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
Required Application Documents
Resume and cover letter required. Please do not submit your application without these documents.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree
Minimum Experience: 5 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Managerial experience in student programming or services
REQ20067585 Posted Date: 12/04/2018