Part-Time Counseling Advisor
The part-time Counseling Advisor will work in conjunction with the NAH Counseling Advisor to provide advisement to a diverse student population at Rowan College of Gloucester County in keeping with the mission of the college and the college's strategic plan. Supporting student success by providing professional advisement to assist students in developing an academic plan as they enter, complete and achieve their education and career goals is the primary function of the advisor. Working within a team environment, the advisor will collaborate with departments and resources on campus to support student success. Strong knowledge of RCGC's programs of study, policies and procedures is required.
Examples of Duties:
- Provides direct advising to students in the form of both individual and group sessions concerning appropriate course selection and academic planning including basic skills, pre-requisites, course sequencing and developing a plan to graduate from Nursing and Allied Health programs.
- Provides professional advisement support for all types of students on College policies and procedures that impact their enrollment status, such as but not limited to: change of major, grade and administrative appeal processes, academic amnesty, petition to graduate, add/drop/withdrawal/audit, and assists students in proper submission or processing of student forms requiring advisor signature.
- Provides orientation and advisement for Nursing and Allied Health students, working collaboratively with academics and departments on campus to support student retention and persistence toward graduation.
- Maintains a calendar of advising appointments and ability to use online scheduling software.
- Proficient in Banner Self-Service and INB to execute advisement related functions and corresponding documentation to provide students with support for the following tasks: variances, pre-requisite overrides, academic amnesty, academic standing, probationary processes, degree audit evaluations, petition to graduate, etc.
- Acts as a mentor to Faculty, Adjunct, part-time advisors and student leaders who support the role of counseling advisors in supporting student success.
- Stays abreast of curricular and programmatic changes and is able to interpret, analyze and instruct students on computer-generated degree evaluations and other tools designed to plan degree completion.
- Maintains strong communications regarding program changes for assigned advising cohort(s), and works with academic areas to provide updated communications to students, supervisor(s), support staff, faculty and departments in the College.
- Knowledgeable of campus resources and departments, and appropriately refers students to campus resources for on/off campus transfer services, special services, counseling and wellness, career services, academic support and testing centers, student affairs, etc. acting as a liaison as appropriate.
- Maintains accurate and detailed advisement notes and completes all required paperwork and assigned tasks in an accurate and timely fashion and ensures the integrity and confidentiality of academic records, maintaining compliance with FERPA, and other college policies, state and federal regulations.
- Assists with college activities related to student success, retention and transfer.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's Degree required or in progress, near completion
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to present to small and large groups
- Experience advising students in a community college or similar environment
- Ability to use current applicable hardware and software, including Microsoft Office Suite, appointment scheduling software
- Experience with higher education system administration software. Familiarity with Ellucian Banner preferred
- Demonstrated success in collaborating with all levels of the institution and the ability to work effectively with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Strong commitment to a comprehensive community college philosophy and a student centered learning environment
- Digitally savvy with social media and a variety of digital platforms
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule with variable hours, including evenings and weekends and online coverage outside the typical work hours.