Assistant Dean for Advancement
Areas of Intereset: Business/Management
Functional Areas: Office of Advancement
Department: University of Colorado Boulder Development Administration
Requisition Number: 14507
Location: Boulder, CO
Employment Type: University Staff
Posting Close Date: 02-Dec-2018
The University of Colorado Boulder invites nominations and applications for the Assistant Dean for Advancement for the College of Engineering and Applied Science. The Assistant Dean provides strategic leadership for an advancement program that incorporates development and external relations functions for the College. Reporting jointly to the Associate Vice Chancellor and the Dean of the College, this position and its current compliment of 19 full-time advancement staff directly support the Dean to engage donors and alumni and community volunteers to advance the College’s educational, research and service mission.
CU Boulder is a globally-leading research-intensive-university and the only institution in the Rocky Mountain region that is a member of the Association of American Universities. CU Boulder regularly ranks among the nation’s top universities in federally-funded research expenditures and attracts significant philanthropic investments from individual, corporate and philanthropic foundations in support of research programs, undergraduate scholarships, graduate fellowships and other programs.
The College of Engineering and Applied Science is among the nation’s leading comprehensive engineering schools. With more than 5,600 students, over 250 faculty and 18 degree programs, the College attracts top students and distinguished faculty from throughout the U.S. and around the world. The College has materially improved gender diversity among its undergraduate and graduate student populations and is leading the nation in recruiting female students pursuing studies across the engineering disciplines.
The College is entering a multi-year advancement planning phase, leading to both time-sensitive initiatives to drive philanthropic investment in the College over the next two to three years and planning for participation in an anticipated campus-wide sesquicentennial campaign concluding in the 2026-2027 academic year. The Assistant Dean serves as a member of the advancement leadership community at the University of Colorado Boulder.
Who We Are
Founded in 1893, the College of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Colorado Boulder is the second largest of seven schools and colleges at one of the nation's top public research institutions. As Colorado's flagship university, CU Boulder has selective admissions standards and a comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Develop and reinforce best-practice fundraising programs to maximize private support over short-, medium-, and long-term horizons in support of the College’s research, teaching and service mission. Sustain and enhance an emerging donor-centered advancement culture.
- Manage a growing team of College-based advancement professionals with specific responsibilities for annual, major, principal and planned gift development, donor relations and stewardship, alumni and community engagement.
- Collaborate with campus-level Corporate and Foundation Relations team to deepen corporate and foundation relationships leading to increased charitable grant support for faculty and student research, teaching and service initiatives enhancing grantor satisfaction with their support of the College of Engineering and Applied Science and continuously identifying opportunities to engage charitable foundations in supporting the scholarly work of faculty and students.
- The Assistant Dean is personally responsible for the management of a portfolio of 60-80 donor and prospective donor relationships across the advancement continuum. Annual individual and College of Engineering and Applied Science advancement team performance metrics are determined collaboratively with the Associate Vice Chancellor – Academic Affairs in the Office of Advancement in consultation with, and agreement of, the Dean of the College.
- As a member of the College’s executive team, serve on the Dean’s Cabinet and other committees as appropriate, and meaningfully contribute to institutional strategy, performance and culture.
- Serves as the primary staffing liaison to the College’s Engineering Advisory Council and its Resource Development Committee, providing strategic support of volunteer’s resource development, alumni and community engagement activities.
- Establish effective working relationships with academic and administrative deans, department chairs, research institute and center directors, and faculty within the School in order to understand their programs and priorities. Ensure that advancement activities are aligned with the College’s vision, mission, and goals of its strategic plan and aligned with the vision, mission and values of the Advancement Division.
- The Assistant Dean works collaboratively with College and Advancement leadership to increase institutional readiness for philanthropic investments and is responsible for resource management (planning, operating budget planning and performance, etc.) associated with the College's advancement program.
- As a member of the CU Boulder Advancement Management Team, contribute to overall campus resource development, constituent engagement and reputation management strategy and activity, focusing resources on critical College and pan-university priorities and objectives.
- Work closely and collaboratively with advancement colleagues across the CU system. Serve as the primary liaison with university and campus administrators, including the Division of Advancement inclusive of the CU Alumni Association and, at the discretion of the Associate Vice Chancellor – Academic Affairs, with the University of Colorado Foundation and the CU System Advancement team.
What You Should Know
- Local and national travel will be required.
What We Can Offer
- A competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Challenged. Be Impactful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Knowledge of the major components of advancement including development, communications and public relations, alumni relations, and special events.
- At least ten years of successful experience in advancement-with experience working on major and principal gifts, preferably in a higher education environment.
- Experience planning and executing all phases of a comprehensive advancement campaign.
- An understanding and commitment to the research, teaching and service mission of the College of Engineering and Applied Science with strong preference granted to advancement professionals with a record of achievement in a College of Engineering or research-intensive advancement program of comparable scope and complexity.
- Supervisory experience and demonstrated success leading a team to achievement of annual and multi-year goals with demonstrated commitment to the access and inclusion mission of the University of Colorado and the College of Engineering and Applied Science.
What You Will Need
- Ability to work effectively with deans and directors, University academic and administrative leaders, alumni, community volunteers and corporate and foundation stakeholders to achieve fund-raising and alumni and constituent engagement goals.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Unquestionable integrity and a strong demonstration of professional ethics.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and work in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess traits of good judgment, confidentiality, positive attitude and discretion in communicating with colleagues and constituents.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Graduate degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 7-10 years Advancement leadership experience.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by December 2, 2018 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer