Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Infectious Diseases
Professional Research Assistant
Position #753958 - Requisition #14901
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the recently completed and now operational Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The Department of Pediatrics Section of Emergency Medicine provides clinical services at Children's Hospital Colorado (CHCO) Emergency Department, in Aurora, CO, as well as at six other sites in our Network of Care, surrounding metro Denver and Colorado Springs. These include a 24/7 ED/Urgent Care at CHCO South campus in Highlands Ranch; a 24/7 Urgent Care at CHCO North campus in Broomfield; a 24/7 ED/Urgent Care at CHCO Uptown Campus; a 24/7 Emergency Department at CHCO at Parker Adventist Hospital; an after-hours urgent care facility at CHCO Wheat Ridge; and an after-hours urgent care at Briargate, Colorado Springs.
Each year we care for over 175,000 pediatric patients at these seven facilities. Our large group of pediatric faculty includes pediatric emergency physicians, pediatricians, advanced practice providers (nurse practitioners and physician assistants), PhDs, and fellows.
The Section of Infectious Diseases has an active basic and translational research program with more than $5 million of federal funding yearly. The Section is engaged in a broad range of research, including respiratory viral pathogens, enteric viral diseases, hospital epidemiology, international health, HIV, TB, Kawasaki disease, Staph toxin disease, and vaccine-preventable diseases. We participate in multiple national clinical trials of antiviral agents, antiretroviral medications, and vaccines.
The Department of Pediatrics, Section of Infectious Diseases, as part of the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus has an opening for a full-time, temporary Professional Research Assistant. This full-time, temporary position will be hired by the Department of Pediatrics, Section of Infectious Diseases, but supervised by the Section of Emergency Medicine.
The successful candidate will be working on a specific clinical trial in the Pediatric Emergency Department at Children's Hospital Colorado's main campus (Anschutz).
This position is responsible for: collecting trial data, including but not limited to assessment of patients' illnesses, coordinating collection of samples, running tests, and data collection and verification. The position term is limited to one year, with the possibility of a second year, grant-dependent.
Examples of Work:
- Enroll eligible patients in a clinical trial
- Screen and assist in assessment of patients seen in the ED for eligibility in a prospective clinical research study protocol
- Complete the entire consent process, including approaching patients and explaining study procedures and consent forms, answering questions concerning the studies, and obtaining signatures for informed consent and assent from patients and caregivers
- Perform and/or coordinate the events of the studies
- Instruct clinical staff on their study roles
- Ensure accurate completion of data collection forms
- Accurate data entry
- Query resolution
- Medical chart review
- Conduct follow-up interviews, both in-person and via telephone
- Basic clinical care duties, including laboratory testing and the handling of lab samples
- Database maintenance
- In the event of a disaster emergency and while under the supervision of ED leadership, this position will have the option to work as a scribe in the ED, or in another capacity suitable to and within the scope of the employee's skill level
- Other duties necessary for completion of research studies
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
(for questions, please contact [email protected])
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations:http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- BS/BA degree
- Minimum of 1-2 years' professional experience in human subject research
- Experience in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass national criminal and sex offender background checks
- Must be willing and available to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed
- Must be willing and able to abide by hospital, University, local, state, and national regulations regarding human subject research
- Must be willing and able to complete the COMIRB and HIPAA requirement for researchers prior to first ED shift
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to self-direct and self-motivate
- Able to perform duties autonomously, as well as under direct supervision
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work in a sometimes-stressful environment
- Ability to appropriately identify patients qualifying for the study
- Ability and willingness to be present in patient rooms during procedures that may or may not be related to the study
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology
- Accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Experience conducting the Informed Consent Process
- Bilingual English/Spanish-speaking skills
- Experience working in an emergency/trauma outpatient setting
- Professional experience communicating with persons under emergency conditions or in high-stress situations
- Experience with electronic Health Record (EHR) and REDCapExperience working with children and parents
Special Instructions to Applicants:Special Instructions to Applicants *Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Mimi Munroe at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: -Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21016 - SOM-PEDS ID-GenOps
Posting Date: Oct 11, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Mimi Munroe
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00753958