Director of Teacher Education, Licensure Programs and Field Experience
Who are we
The College of Education at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) invites applications for the position of Director of Teacher Education, Licensure Programs, and Field Experience. We are seeking applicants who have a strong interest in innovative and collaborative approaches to teacher education, especially school/university partnerships that leverage technology to enhance access, with significant experience in directing college or university teacher education programs.
This is an exciting time in the history of the College of Education at UCCS. With new degree programs in Inclusive Early Childhood Education and Inclusive Elementary Education, along with interdisciplinary educator preparation programs in collaboration with the Colleges of Letters, Arts, and Sciences and Engineering and Applied Science, we are experiencing significant enrollment growth. This provides us with opportunities to serve the unique needs of Colorado Springs, the southern region of the state, and beyond.
Chief Areas of Responsibility
- Coordination of all field experience placements for educator preparation across UCCS, and for other programs within the College of Education requiring clinical experiences.
- Maintain a database for tracking placements, including fieldwork sites, site supervisors and clinical teachers; ensuring diverse experiences and ensuring that candidates meet number of required hours.
- Oversee the administration of formal teacher performance assessments, observational tools, and student surveys; collecting data and analyzing results in conjunction with departments, the College of Education Assessment and Academic Quality Improvement standing committee and the dean's office.
- Ensure programs assess candidate dispositions at multiple points during program enrollment.
- In collaboration with program coordinators and the dean's office, track program completers, provide analysis of findings to department chairs, dean, campus, and advisory board.
- Collaborate with program coordinators to facilitate site supervisor meetings.
- Provide orientation and professional development for new and returning site supervisors.
- Ensure site supervisors meet program specific qualifications for their roles.
- Maintain regular contact with supervisors of field experience and trouble-shooting administrative or placement issues with students and faculty.
Collaboration within the Department and College
- Work with faculty in building a cohesive consolidated system for all educator preparation pathways at UCCS.
- Work with program coordinators, the standing committee on assessment and academic quality improvement, the dean's office, and the coordinator of accreditation to standardize assessment instruments, timelines and processes across programs.
- Work with program coordinators to ensure currency and accuracy in program handbooks on an annual basis, assist with revisions.
- Visit schools and agencies to negotiate new field or service learning sites, coordinating volunteer and pre-field placement opportunities, and sustaining and developing new partnerships for COE professional development outreach for K-12 schools. The Director works closely with CDE, CDHE, and other universities in ensuring adherence to licensure regulations.
- Serve as a liaison between COE and the CO Departments of Education and Higher Education.
- Serve as the primary point of contact between COE and district and community partners in determining placements, formalizing placement contracts, assuring legal approval of documents, and addressing internship concerns.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Applicant must understand databases, assessment, and curriculum design and alignment. Competence in tracking several projects simultaneously is essential. Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and the ability to build positive relationships with schools and the community will be critical assets. Evidence of grounding in best practices and inclusiveness related to teacher education. Strong communication skills to broadly engage in variety of constituents both within and outside of the University and to serve as an advocate for the College of Education.
$55,500.00 to $75,000.00
This position has been determined to be exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and as such, it is not eligible for overtime compensation
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on university benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history
- Master's degree in education from a regionally accredited institution.
- Five years' or more experience coaching or developing teachers in K-12 or higher education.
- Two years' or more experience teaching in a P-12 classroom.
- Terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Two years' or more experience using technology to enhance educational experiences for students pursuing teacher preparation such as video coaching.
Special Instructions to Applicants:• If you have technical difficulties with your application, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200 #5 or [email protected] Job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:• Applications submitted by October 19, 2018 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Failure to properly attach the required documents; cover letter; resume (CV) and unofficial transcript, will result in automatic disqualification for this position. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40036 - COE-College of Education
Posting Date: Oct 5, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lori Unruh
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00736917