Sterile Processing Technician
Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Dental Medicine
Sterile Processing Technician (Laboratory Support) - Open Rank
Position #211813 - Requisition 14949
This full-time, state-classified position has responsibility for the cleaning and decontamination of all instruments and equipment according to established procedures and techniques, ensuring proper functioning of equipment and cleaning the sanitizing machines and equipment. In addition to the sterile processing functions, this position will inventory cassettes and instruments and disburse the sterile reusable instruments to operatories and clinical units and provide oversight of the collection of used and disbursed instruments to begin the sterilization process.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Cleans and decontaminates instruments and equipment according to established procedures and techniques; ensures proper functioning of equipment; cleans sanitizing machines and equipment.
- Maintains a level of sterilized instruments for distribution.
- Collects dirty and delivers sterile instrumentation casecarts from and to all clinical floors.
- Cleans washers and sterilizers.
- Documents sterilizer process cycles.
- Issues sterile reusable instruments to operatories and clinical units; collects and resterilizes used instruments.
- Prepares specialized instruments set-ups for undergraduate students, residents and faculty to be used during dental patient treatment.
- Various other job related duties or tasks as assigned and/or needed.
Salary and Benefits:
Hiring Salary Range: $2,696/ month (non-negotiable)
Employees hired into these positions are eligible for University benefits. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits program, including eligibility, is located at www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Colorado law requires that candidates for state government jobs be residents of Colorado at the time of application.
- One year of experience in sterilizing dental and/or medical instruments and equipment.
Substitutions: A combination of the completion of a Sterile Processing Certification program OR Dental Assistant Certification PLUS eight (8) months experience sterilizing dental and/or medical instruments may substitute
Conditions of Employment :
- Must be able to identify colors in order to distinguish specific instrument cassettes that are color coded for specific content.
- Must be willing and able to push and pull up to 50 lbs. to maneuver instrument carts on a daily basis.
- Must be willing and able to work in a work environment that is temperature controlled at 69 degrees.
- Must be willing and able to stand for long periods of time while working.
- Must be willing and able to reach, crouch, stoop, and kneel on a frequent basis.
- Must be willing and able to lift and carry objects on a frequent basis.
- Experience preparing specialized dental instruments set ups.
- Certification either as a Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) from the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management (IAHCSMM) or as a Sterile Processing and Distribution (SPD) Technician from the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD).
- Experience working in a centralized sterilization laboratory.
Competencies/ Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to establish rapport with a wide variety of individuals
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Ability to work independently and exercise judgment in decision making
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong oral communication skills
- Knowledge of dental/medical terminology
- Knowledge of dental/medical materials, tools, instruments and equipment
- Knowledge of proper use and technique of dental tools and instruments
- Knowledge of proper sterilization and aseptic processes, procedures, requirements, tools and equipment
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your application, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers will be verified against your application and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
For those who meet minimum qualifications, the comparative analysis process will include one or all of the following: • Preferred Qualifications Application Review based on the preferred qualifications listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated and rated against the preferred qualifications based on information submitted within their application materials). Note: Candidates are not physically present for this portion of the comparative analysis. • Search Committee Interview based on the job requirements, preferred qualifications and competencies listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated, scored and ranked based on oral responses). You will be notified via email if the comparative analysis process changes or includes additional assessment tools other than those listed above.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: This announcement is open until October 19, 2018].
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20429 - SDM-Dental Clinic Support Srvc
Posting Date: Oct 15, 2018
Closing Date: Oct 19, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Ann Shimamoto
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00211813