The vision of UCCS Dining and Food Services is to be a recognized leader in service delivery and food sustainability to cultivate and nurture a healthy campus culture where access to wholesome, seasonal, and local food directly links to wellness, sense of place, and environmental protection. Aligning UCCS Dining and Food Services with campus sustainability efforts allows for the integration of academic programs and community action, thereby providing students invaluable experiential learning opportunities. This includes preparing and serving healthy, flavorful, sustainable, and nutritious food produced through fiscally responsible and mindful practices that nourish and support our community.
May be expected to work various shifts to include early morning, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Nature of Work:
The purpose of the UCCS Food Service Cook 1 is to prepare quality food for the resident dining community and catering through the efficient use of supplies, equipment, and services in a sanitary and safe environment according to UCCS Dining and Food Services specifications.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Take orders and provide patrons quick and courteous service.
- Prepare customer's order using the proper recipe, portion and technique.
- Follow proper cooking, storage, and food handling techniques as trained.
- Prepare and cook food at a variety of platforms including breakfast, salad bar, deli, grill, pizza, dinner entrees and catering events as assigned.
- Maintain a clean, safe, and orderly work environment at all times.
- Complete training on all pieces of equipment prior to use.
- Assemble, disassemble, and clean kitchen equipment.
- Assist in all phases of set up, service and clean up in operation as needed.
- May assist in storeroom duties such as receiving orders, rotating stock and inventory.
- Determine practical solutions to problems and apply processes, techniques, and methods.
- Function as production asst or workleader over food handling position/select procedures.
- Manage dining, food service sub contractors, cashier operations and cleanliness standards.
- Position may be assigned as "Essential Services Designation" - meaning required to report without delay or interruption to provide essential or emergency services to ensure health, safety, and welfare.
- Duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Any combination of education, training, and experience, which demonstrates the knowledge and skill to perform the duties and responsibilities as described.
- Ability to comprehend, carry out and explain complex verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to bend, stoop, twist and lift up to 60 pounds when storing, stocking and gathering prepared products and/or inventory items.
- Ability to stand and walk on hard floors for extended hours.
- Requires the safe and efficient use of food service equipment such as ovens, grills, food choppers and processors, steamers, slicers, etc., as well as understanding the proper way to clean food service equipment.
- Friendly disposition with effective customer relations skills with ability to work with a varied clientele is imperative.
- Must be able to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated knowledge of food preparation and presentation.
This position has been determined to be eligible for overtime (non-exempt) under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Hourly Pay Rate: $11.14
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on university benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history
- One year or more experience in food preparation and service.
- ServSafe certification training will provided upon employment. A passing score must be obtained to progress to any culinary supervisor position within Dining Services.
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Posting will remain open until December 31, 2018. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references
Application Materials Required:Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:If you have technical difficulties with your application, please contact the CU Careers help dsk at 303-860-4200 #5 or [email protected] Job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact.(at least two pevious/current supervisors), including their email contact information.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40253 - Dining and Hospitality Service
Posting Date: Oct 18, 2018
Closing Date: Dec 31, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Jessica Bell
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00002819