University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Department of Orthopedics
Temporary Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner
Nature of Work
This is a unique opportunity to work in an academic and clinically busy orthopedic sports medicine and hip preservation practice with one of the premier sports medicine groups in the front range of Colorado. The position will be a temporary hourly Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner position in the Department of Orthopedics.
Duties and Responsibilities
This is a position requiring interest in Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery. The applicant must be self-directed, detail-oriented, and adaptable in a high-intensity environment. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required as well.
1. Obtains detailed history and performs physical examinations on assigned patients; assesses and treats acute/chronic medical problems (focusing on the musculoskeletal system) and provides direct patient care to a specified patient population. Write prescriptions for medications, PT, OT, imaging studies, and DME as needed. Complete FMLA and other forms and school notes as needed.
2. Assists in providing pre-op, intra-op and post-op care; writes appropriate orders, including those for narcotics and other scheduled drugs. There will be some casting, splinting, and dressing required.
3. Performs emergency life saving procedures in cases such as cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest, massive hemorrhage, or similar emergencies. Occasionally provide fracture reductions in ER or office as needed, but not conscious sedation. Perform joint aspirations and injections.
4. Notifies attending physician on call, house physician on call, or supervising physician regarding any unusual or unexpected events or problems requiring direct physician consultation.
5. Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
6. Coordinates the activities of patient care and support staff within the clinic. Work with the team to ensure smooth operation of the clinic.
7. Writes progress notes on patients' office and hospital charts indicating patient status and treatment procedures performed; maintains other records as required.
8. Provides health education to patients and families; may train and supervise medical students, residents, fellows, Physician Assistant students, and other health professional students, engaged in specific clinical activities.
9. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops.
10. Participate (attend, give talks, help organize) in educational programs of the CU Sports Medicine including weekly academic conference, journal club, symposia.
11. Will assist in community outreach events including giving educational talks, organizing, planning, and attending
12. Assist orthopedic surgeon in operating room setting.
13. Help develop written educational materials and treatment protocols for specific conditions and post-operative care.
14. Assist in preparing and giving powerpoint and poster presentations for educational purposes at institutional, local and national meetings.
15. May perform clinical research related to specific conditions and assist in preparation of manuscripts for publication
16. Must become proficient in documentation and use of current the Electronic Medical Record, and be an available resource to other health care providers
17. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
18. Flexibility required as the nature of the position will change over time as one gains knowledge and experience with sports medicine/orthopedic conditions. The expectation will be for gradually more independence in the office as confidence is gained.
This position works primarily Monday-Friday (but will have some weekend responsibilities including team coverage, educational symposia, outreach events and occasional call) and will be located primarily in Denver, Colorado.
• State of Colorado Certified Physician's Assistant or Inclusion on the State of Colorado Advanced Practice Registry as an Advance Practice Nurse; Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician's Assistants or certification by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
• Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification; certification pending, as documented by temporary certificate.
• CPR Certified
• Experience preferred. May be willing to train new grad with previous hospital/ortho experience or exceptional qualities
• Bachelor's degree in a related Technical, Scientific, or Engineering discipline
• 6 months to 1 year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Instructions: Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 15400.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Questions should be directed to [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID:
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Professional Support Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20259 - SOM-Orthopedics
Posting Date: Dec 19, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Joshua Metzl, MD
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00717820